How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 8102
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father, 83yr old is in a hospital right now experiencing

Customer Question

My father, 83yr old is in a hospital right now experiencing shortness of breath, swollen feet & ankles BP at 184/97, productive cough, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea accompanied with throwing up. Blood o2 level at 93%, pulse at 86. No Dr. is on staff right now let alone a cardiologist. Last heart attack Oct. 2008. Now they are giving him Norco, Lasix, and Corazon. What do you recommend since there are no Dr's on staff (awful, but it is what it is). Please help with any guidance. I am a Dr but not a cardiologist.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please help with ANY guidance I really need it to give to the nurse on staff.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also he has felt tightness in his throat for 2 days now
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 months ago.


It is impossible to manage an ICU case using an online consultation portal like this.

The doctor/ nurse on duty would be the right person to manage this.

Aggressive monitoring of vitals, especially the BP is the key to management.

A central line may be needed to monitor the hemodynamic parameters, but of course only the doctor can decide,

The urine output is very important, and a catheter would be ideal for the same.

Tests for recurrent MI including trop T test and regular EKG monitoring would be ideal.

Ask the staff to contact the doctor on duty, and the consultant if possible,

All the best,

Dr Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Very good advise. What are your thoughts on intake of fluid/foods also wouldn't an angiogram be quite useful?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I'm busy with family concerns right now I can call you later. Just looking for temporary guidance if you would be so kind.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 months ago.

If the Trop T or the EKG is suggestive, then certainly Angiogram is needed.

However, only a cardiologist available locally can prescribe this,

Do remember to leave a positive rating so that the transaction is completed, and I am compensated.

You can continue to interact even after accepting the reply,