abray1115
abray1115, Physician
Experience:  Primary care with particular interest in cardiology problems and prevention. Work closely with cardiologist colleagues.
13781349

I am haveing rapid heart beats. I can feel this when I go to

Customer Question

I am haveing rapid heart beats. I can feel this when I go to sleep I am on medication for gallstones but this rapid heartbeat is different to palpitations. It is most uncomfortable. I am on aspro for those this is different. I am 75 Anne.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Apart from this pain of the gallstones I am in excellent health. The palpitations I have had since age fifteen but have been controlled for over thirty years with medication This rapid heartbeat is different and scary Anne
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Only the type of pain relief for the gallstones Colese and panadene forte every four hours.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  abray1115 replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Your history suggests that you may have periods of abnormal rapid heart rhythm ...SVT may cause bursts of rapid heartbeat such as baseline 75 and suddenly doubles to 150... Such rhythm may at times be debrief for seconds or minutes but may be lasting in many cases

Another culprit could be atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular response ... This would be more likely to occur when you lie down because this position increases the volume and pressures within the upper chambers of the heart ...

Follow up with your doctor

It sounds that you need a 24 hour HOLTER monitor to be set up to determine what is going on with you

This is an outpatient procedure that requires you to hook up a small portable monitor that follows your heart rhythm..

This test should be able to diagnose the source of what you feel

Treatment from that point depending on the source of the symptoms

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD