Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I suffer from anxiety and have had two appointments in the

Customer Question
Hello, I suffer from anxiety...
Hello, I suffer from anxiety and have had two appointments in the past four years with my cardiologist since i was worried about my h due to the health due to the anxiety. i had an echocardio gram, bloodwork and an event monitor and everything came out clear. Over the past few days I have had a bad episode with the anxiety and the the thoughts that something could be wrong are strong.
I am 100 lbs 5'1 with no existing health issues.My good cholesterol is 95 for a total cholesterol of 210. Blood pressure is always normal except when I'm anxious. I am very fearful of heart attack.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
10/12/2016
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 1 year ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is nothing in your description that would be a reason for concern for heart disease. Your cholesterol numbers are excellent. A blood pressure that is usually normal except for episodes of anxiety is also good.

Anxiety, by itself, is not indicative of a heart attack or heart disease.

Have you had any other symptoms with the anxiety episode?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I haven't - I get concerned that the anxiety could take a toll on me even though I'm healthy and all of a sudden cause a heart attack. Even though I am totally heart healthy. So as you an imagine with the anxiety gets high a heart attack feels imminent.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
most of the time I don't have any heart palpitations just feel very keyed up and very nervous.

Well, it is true that chronic stress and anxiety can contribute to the development of many health problems, including heart disease. However, if this happens, it is something that accrues over years. An episode of bad anxiety over the last few days will not cause a heart attack or other heart problems.

In the situations in which chronic stress or anxiety contribute to the development of heart disease, it is still the usual symptoms that would cause concern for a heart attack, specifically chest pain that may radiate to the neck or arm, and may be associated with shortness of breath, nausea, or sweating.

If the only symptoms that you are having over the bad episode of anxiety over the last few days is the anxiety, then there is no reason to be concerned about a heart attack. If you start having chest pain along with shortness of breath, nausea, or sweating, then that would be a reason for concern, and it would be appropriate to be seen.

At this point, it is appropriate to concentrate on seeking treatment for the anxiety, but there is no reason for concern about heart disease.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove, MD