Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I am a 58 year old african american female in good health.

Customer Question

I am a 58 year old african american female in good health. Recently my cholesterol has started to increase a tad bit but my HDL is 65, LDL is 130, triglycerides 105. Total cholesterol is 230. My entire life my cholesterol is ALWAYS been great, and my HDL has been as high as 85. But the reason I'm writing is because I recently had an Echocardiogram done during a routine physical, and I'm VERY concerned about the Ejection Fraction. I had one done about 12 years ago, and the Ejection Fraction was 72. The latest one I had done was 50. Everything else on the Echo was normal except how can an EJ drop 22 points over a 12 year period. I exercise, I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 163, don't drink, or smoke, and I don't understand. Can you help with this question?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

your ejection fraction was extremely high at 72% and that was because you were in very good shape and before your menopause.

now your EF is normal for your age and because you are after your menopause, your EF will decline.

this is not a knock on you.

that is just how life is

but your EF is at a very good range of 50%

keep exercising.