Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I was having tightness in my chest - particularly in the

Customer Question
Hello, I was having tightness in...
I was having tightness in my chest - particularly in the area where my heart is late last week. It was on and off. This week, Tuesday, it started to get stronger. In the evening, the tightness and pressure became very strong and I had 2 episodes where the pain spread across my chest and it felt like there was a lot of pressure throughout my chest.
My husband took me to the hospital that same evening where they did a chest x-ray, echocardiogram, blood work, and an ultrasound. I was told everything looks normal and since the tightness and pain subsided, I was told to go home and follow up with my family doctor as soon as possible and to come back to the emergency department as soon as possible if it gets strong again. From the day I went to the hospital, the tightness in my chest in my heart region has not gone away at all. It is constantly there - sometimes a little stronger than other times.
Today, I started to get numbness and tingling in my left arm and down my left leg as well as some back pain. I have an appointment scheduled with my family doctor for next Thursday. That is the earliest I could get.
Should I visit the hospital again due to the tingling and numbness and due to the fact that the tightness and pressure in my chest has continued for days?
Do I wait to see my family doctor? And if so, what tests should I be making sure that she performs or that a cardiologist performs? How do I know if I have a blood clot or plaque build up?
Thank you,
Petty
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
8/26/2016
Cardiologist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Any other symptoms?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have any medical problems and the only medication I am currently taking are prenatal vitamins.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also having some back pain

Petty,

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted I do not feel you need to go to the hospital. This does not sound like a blood clot or plaque issue.

Also, there is no need to suggest tests for your GP or cardiologist to do. They are perfectly capable of taking your medical history and examining you so that they can decide what tests would be best to help them figure out what is going on....that is why they get paid the Big Bucks ;)

So. What should you do tonight?

I suggest you take a nice hot bath with Epsom salts if you have some or, if you don't have a tub, take a nice long hot shower. This will help the nerves get back online and should ease your back pain. In addition you should take a couple of tylenol or motrin tablets.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD