Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I experience PVC and PAC on occasion. I haven't had them for

Customer Question

I experience PVC and PAC on occasion. I haven't had them for awhile. I have worn a heart monitor in the past and the monitor picked up this diagnosis. I don't take meds for them because I really don't have them that often. Today I counted 27 skipped beats or palpatations in an hour. Heart rate is normal. I take bp medicine Losartan HTZ. Is that considered a lot in a 1 hour time frame?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 11 months ago.

Hello there

• Yes, these are too many extra beats in one minute. However, if you just had them in that one minute and then they resolved: that's of NO CONCERNS
  • PVCs/PACs, tend to come in clusters and what you had is not unusual.
  • These medications are not responsible for these PVCs/PACs, unless they lead to low Potassium, which would be unusual. Losartan increase the K and HCTZ decrease the K,. So, they kinda even them self out
  • NO WORRIES

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you mean too many beats in one minute?. I had 27 skipped beats during an entire hour. I am still getting a few

Apology, I meant one hour. That is NOT a concern at all. This is not unusual. You had a cluster of PVCs/PACs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does this tend to lead to Atrial Fibrillation. My mom had that.
  • NO, they are completely independent arrhythmia, and PACs/PVCs do not lead to Atrial Fib
  • Atrial Fib is not usually inherited but it is a very common arrhythmia
  • In both of these entities, your pulse will tend to be irregular when you feel it, but that is the only common feature

Hi there .. Just checking if you had any more questions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I actually have one more question. What makes atrial fibrillation as far as symptoms go distinct from PVC and PAC?
  • There are very different arrhythmia with different clinical implications
  • PVCs & PACs, in a normal heart of a healthy person, like your self, are harmless, though can be annoying when felt. In most instances, no specific medications are needed
  • Afib has associated tachycardia and a risk of clot formation in the heart. If the tachycardia is uncontrolled, the heart muscle weakens. It does require treatment including blood thinners
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would I know if I were having atrial fib vs just the normal PVC or PAC. I have had a few quick episodes in which my heart was skipping and going fast at the same time. This only happened a few times and just lasted a minute. Very uncomfortable.
  • You will need a monitor that would records your EKG around the clock. Your heart rhrythem during the symptoms needs to be documented in order the determine wether it's Afib or PVCs/PACs.
    • If you are getting these episodes daily, a 24 hour holter monitor is enough to document the heart rhythm when you have the symptoms
    • If your symptoms are less frequent, then 2 weeks or 4 weeks monitor will be necesser