Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I have a fast heart rate but I have had a... I have a fast

Customer Question
I have a fast heart...
I have a fast heart rate but I have had a...
I have a fast heart rate but I have had a stress test am ekg a echo and all is ok. Today on the oximetr my o2 is dropping occasionally to 82-85 but I breath slowly and it goes back to 98 or 99 what could that be I take metoperal .25 Ativan
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
8/2/2016
Cardiologist: abray1115, Physician replied 1 year ago
abray1115
abray1115, Physician

Hello!

If you are having such drops in your pulse oximetry then I strogly advise that you get this checked at the ER without delay..

Your pulse ox should not be dropping to 80's....

The fast heart rate should be monitored too...

It may be that you have abnormal rhythm or reacting to the hypoxic events ...

Either way you need to have more evaluation of what is going on with you ....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if it drops to 80s then immediately back up to 98 or 99

Your pulse ox may be losing your pulse as possible cause...

Do you FEEL short of breath ?

How long do these episodes of rapid heart rate last?

How fast does your pulse get ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's weird not long a few min I take the metoperal for it. Today it's more the o2 stats and I don't really feel out of breath. If I take a few deep breaths it goes back to 98. I did notice my heart is actually slower when it drops

Hello again,

I think it is important for you to get to the bottom of the issue...it is possible to see a pulse ox fail to read the pulse and we can see transient drops of readings which may not be true ...that type issue would just be an imperfect aspect of the technology and not a real drop... If several minutes then it sounds that your may be more likely real ...if the drop in pulse ox is accompanied by a rapid heart rate then that would make sense that your heart may be responding to the stress of low oxygen... Pulmonary hypertension could cause a pattern such as that but usually you would have clear problems and symptoms of shortness of breath ...

Do you have a follow up with your doctor coming up?

Why do you measure your pulse ox?

Do you have a history of heart or lung health issues ? If so what type diagnoses have you had ??

That would be helpful to know ....

Best regards...

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It lasts less than 30 sec and climbs back up
I years bc of my heArt rate and making sure metoperal is working
I've had my heart tested streets test X-ray ekg bloodwork Ect all normal no pulmonary issues my heart is actually going low when it drops I come grate on breathing a few seconds and it goes back up. It's happend 5 times today but I feel ok

Hello again,

Ok what range of heart rate do you see??

It seems reassuring that you do not have any sense of shortness of breath or distress.. This makes it seem more likely that it may just be times that the pulse oximeter just misses reading your pulse ...

You might watch to see if interruption of the light blinking or the reading of the pulse seems interrupted ...

Very brief drops but no symptoms would seem less likely to be caused by any true medical problem...

For example if you had asthma then you might have a drop in pulse ox reading but it would not only be a few seconds ....

So the context here is important I would say ....

If you have symptoms / or a physical response such that your feel short of breath with drops to 85 or the pulse reacts to increase then that would be of higher concern..

I hope that this is helpful for you and makes sense

Let me know if you have further questions

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i cant tell you how much i appreicate your time i am taking care of my sick mom and cat go to the dr immediatilymy heart rate was 39 a few times when it was low but think that was wrong and it hasnt gone above 104i also take ativan sometimes i took .5 today could that do it?

Hello again,

I do not think the ATIVAN is causing you any problem here...no to that ..

If the pulse ox is measuring and you have a brief low reading such as 39 then I think the device may be missing some beats and give you a brief abnormal reading...

That makes sense to me more than a medical issue...

If you have low pulse check by feeling your radial pulse at your wrist too...

I hope that this helps...

Take Care !

Anthony Bray MD

abray1115
abray1115
abray1115, Physician