Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

Wanted to knowwht this means...Baseline left ventricular

Customer Question
diastolic function is consistent with...
wanted to knowwht this means...Baseline left ventricular diastolic function is consistent with abnormal
relaxation (stage 1).
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: See a primary. Taking 5 mg of zocor and 10 mg amlodipine and then allergy meds.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Father and grandmother (Father's mother) had heart disease. i am 61 years old. Have chronic asthma and allergies, harrington rod insertion and exercise rigorously every other day.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Echocardiography Report: Transthoracic Echo
Weston Clinic
Date of service: 6/20/2016 9:28:45 AM
Accession #: 88121^SDW
Ordering physician: DARBY SIDER
Indication: PalpitationsTechnologist: Patricia Gagaoudakis RCS
Interpreting physician: Elsy Navas MD
PATIENT:
Name: MRS. RENEE J GREENE
MRN:(###) ###-####Age: 61 years
Gender: FPrimary rhythm: sinus.
Height: 165.10 cm BSA: 1.71 m²
Weight: 63.96 kg BMI: 23.5 kg/m²Heart rate 73 bpm
Blood pressure 122/74 mmHgColor Doppler was utilized to interrogate the cardiac valves assessed and spectral
Doppler was utilized to determine the flow velocities and pressure gradients
reported in this exam.MEASUREMENTS:
Value Indexed Normal
Max aortic dimension 3.4 cm 2.01 cm/m²
Left atrium diameter 3.4 cm (M-Mode)
Left atrial volume 36 ml (Simpson's) 21 ml/m² LAVi <= 34
LV ID (diastole) 3.3 cm (2D)
LV ID (syst
ole) 2.1 cm (2D)
IVS, leaflet tips 0.8 cm (2D)
Posterior wall thickness 0.8 cm (2D)
Left ventricular mass 69 g (2D) 40 g/m²
LV stroke volume 34 ml (2D biplane)
LV cardiac output 2.0 l/min (2D biplane) 1.2 l/min/m²
LV end diastolic volume 52 ml (2D biplane) 30.5 ml/m² 29<=EDVi 54FINDINGS:LEFT VENTRICLE
The left ventricle is normal in size.
Left ventricular systolic function is normal.
Baseline left ventricular diastolic function is consistent with abnormal
relaxation (stage 1).
Mitral annular lateral E/e': 4.7. Mitral annular septal E/e': 6.2.RIGHT VENTRICLE
The right ventricle is normal in size.
Right ventricular systolic function is normal.
Estimated right ventricular systolic pressure is 26 mmHg consistent with normal
pulmonary artery pressures. Estimated right atrial p
ressure is 5 mmHg.LEFT ATRIUM
The left atrial cavity is normal in size.RIGHT ATRIUM
The right atrial cavity is normal in size.
Inferior Vena Cava:
The inferior vena cava appears normal measuring 1.5 cm.MITRAL VALVE
The mitral valve leaflets are structurally normal. There is mild mitral annular
calcification observed posterior. There is no mitral valve regurgitation. The peak
mitral E/A ratio is 0.86. The average mitral E/e' ratio is 5.5.TRICUSPID VALVE
The tricuspid valve leaflets are structurally normal. There is trivial (trivial -
1+) tricuspid valve regurgitation.AORTIC VALVE
The aortic valve cusps are structurally normal. There is no aortic valve stenosis.
There is no aortic valve regurgitation. Tricuspid aortic valve. There is mild
calcification.PULMONIC VALVE
The pulmonic valve cusps are structurally normal. There is trivial pulmonic valve
regurgitation.AORTA
The visualized aorta is normal in size.
Measurements - Sinus 2.8 c
m. Sinotubular junction 2.6 cm. Mid ascending aorta 3.4
cm.INTERATRIAL SEPTUM
The interatrial septum is normal.INTERVENTRICULAR SEPTUM
The interventricular septum is normal.PERICARDIUM
The pericardium is normal. There is no pericardial effusion.CONCLUSIONS:
- Exam indication: Palpitations
- The left ventricle is normal in size. Left ventricular systolic function is
normal. EF = 65 ± 5% (2D biplane) Baseline left ventricular diastolic function is
consistent with abnormal relaxation (stage 1).
- The right ventricle is normal in size. Right ventricular systolic function is
normal.
- There are no significant valvular abnormalities.
Compared with the prior CC echocardiographic exam performed on , 11/21/2006Electronically signed by Elsy Navas MD on 6/20/2016 at 3:27:48 PM
Customer: Health seems okay except allergies and asthma. More tired lately.'
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cardiologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
7/6/2016
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 1 year ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer.

For the heart to pump blood, there are two phases, when the muscle contracts and squeezes blood out of the heart and when the heart relaxes allowing more blood to enter the heart. The phase of contraction is called systole and the phase of relaxation is called diastole. The terms, systolic and diastolic are adjectives that refer to these phases.

When the heart is not pumping as well as it should, it can be due to problems with either phase. There can be a weakness of the heart, so that it does not contract well, which is a problem with systolic function. There also can be a difficulty with the heart relaxing, so that it does not fill with blood as well as it should, which is a problem with diastolic function.

Your echocardiogram shows that the heart is not relaxing well. This can also be called diastolic dysfunction or heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Ejection fraction refers to the amount of blood that is pumped with each contraction and represents the systolic function of the heart.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand the function of the heart. My question is if I am in any danger or not with the test results I sent... Should I be concerned...

The level of concern is based upon the effect that the diastolic function is having. There is no immediate danger, but the amount of concern for long term care would be the issue, and that is what is dependent upon the effect of the diastolic dysfunction.

If you are not having any symptoms associated with the changes, then it is less of a concern, and your doctor will likely only monitor your heart over time. However, if the diastolic dysfunction is causing any symptoms, that would be more of a concern. For example, if it is causing any shortness of breath that you may be attributing to asthma, that would be more of a concern. If you are having shortness of breath that is rapidly relieved by an asthma inhaler, that would be less of a concern. Your doctor should have already considered these issues when the report was received.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information or assistance.

DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove, MD