Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Where do I start? I am a 63 year old female, non-smoker but

Customer Question

Where do I start? I am a 63 year old female, non-smoker but have gotten overweight in the last 5 years. This year is worst I've been. My good weight is 150 but I am at 215 or maybe more. I am afraid of weighing myself.
2 years or more ago I would find when I was eating my food at home on the couch or recliner or in my car my food would go down the wrong pipe! Now I dont know how it routed itself to do that but I would immed have to upchuck and it definitely wasnt coming from my esphagus. This is a regular occurence. I cant help but wonder if some of the food is still somewhere it shouldnt be and going to cause problems later. Well maybe later is now. In the last 2 months I have found myself short of breath. Every day! I am trying to exercise and I think I eat well. I dont Exercise enough thats for sure. I dont want this to turn serious. Last night was the 1st night I had a hard time falling asleep. Breathing seemed harder than usual. It finally got better and I slept.
And to make things more complicated my moms side of the family has a history of heart problems! When I had health insurance I always got that checked. I have been on high blood pres meds for a few years. I had hypertension. The pills keep it normal. My dads side of family had mo real issues.
I am concerned I may have blockage of old food somewhere. Is this a real problem? And how can I know for sure. I am without health ins right now but am shopping for it tomorrow. I had the Obama care bit it turned out I had a decrease in income from Aug thru Jan of this year and was afraid to renew it. I am self employed.
Suzanne P
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern When were you last checked for heart disease?Is your blood sugar level normal?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear customerThank you for coming back online. You are overweight.You need to loose weight. There is nothing possible like your old food is struck somewhere.Food cannot struck anywhere.Through esophagus(food pipe) it goes down to stomach for digestion. The breathing discomfort you had last night can be of concern & heart disease should be ruled out.Following tips will help you in reducing the weight:Reduce the amount of calories you eat.Eating 300 to 500 calories less per day should lead to a loss of between one and two pounds per week.You could start dieting. What you will have to do is keep an account of how many calories you take in each day.Cut down your calories.Increase your daily activities & work out(if you can).Avoid beer and alcohol.Avoid chocolate or biscuits in the week, choose healthy snacks such as fruit.Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed.Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.Drink plenty of fluids.Eat a lot of salad & fruits.All these tips will help you greatly in loosing weight. Take your blood pressure medication regularly as prescribed.Again,you have no blockage of any old food in your food pipe or anywhere.So get your health insurance renewed & have a routine check up. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When are you goung to answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Where do I start? I am a 63 year old female, non-smoker but have gotten overweight in the last 5 years. This year is worst I've been. My good weight is 150 but I am at 215 or maybe more. I am afraid of weighing myself. 2 years or more ago I would find when I was eating my food at home onthe couch or recliner or in my car my food would go down the wrong pipe! Now I dont know how it routed itself to do that but I would immed have to upchuck and it definitely wasnt coming from my esphagus. This is a regular occurence. I cant help but wonder if some of the food is still somewhere it shouldnt be and going to cause problems later. Well maybe later is now. In the last 2 months I have found myself short of breath. Every day! I am trying to exercise and I think I eat well. I dont Exercise enough thats for sure. I dont want this to turn serious. Last night was the 1st night I had a hard time falling asleep. Breathing seemed harder than usual. It finally got better and I slept. And to make things more complicated my moms side of the family has a history of heart problems! When I had health insurance I always got that checked. I have been on high blood pres meds for a few years. I had hypertension. The pills keep it normal. My dads side of family had mo real issues. I am concerned I may have blockage of old food somewhere. Is this a real problem? And how can I know for sure. I am without health ins right now but am shopping for it tomorrow. I had the Obama care bit it turned out I had a decrease in income from Aug thru Jan of this year and was afraid to renew it. I am self employed. Suzanne P
Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you read my story in the first paragraph it says no I do not smoke