Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I WENT HOSPITAL FOR GENRALL CHECKUP I DID MY BLOOD TEST FOR

Customer Question
I WENT HOSPITAL FOR GENRALL...
I WENT HOSPITAL FOR GENRALL CHECKUP I DID MY BLOOD TEST FOR CHOLOSTROL.IT COMING OUT MY HDL IS 29 AND LDL IS 110 MY TOTAL CHOLOSTROL IS 162.MY DOCTOR TOLD NO NEED MEDICATION JUST DO EXASIES.I AM FEAR ABOUT MY RESULT PLEASE HELP ME
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
5/20/2016
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 1 year ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.

Your doctor is correct that medication is not recommended for LDL and HDL values at this level. The current recommendations for cholesterol lowering medicines would be aggressive treatment for people with heart disease or at significant risk for heart disease because of other medical problems, particularly diabetes. However, in someone that is otherwise healthy, the threshold at which treatment with medicines is recommended would be an LDL level of 190, and you are well under this threshold.

So, the recommended interventions for these lab values if you do not have heart disease or other medical conditions that increase the risk for heart disease would be lifestyle interventions. This would include eating a healthy diet, getting regular aerobic exercise, and achieving or maintaining ideal body weight.

It also would be appropriate to perform other healthy lifestyle changes that can affect heart disease, such as qutting smoking if you smoke and limiting alcohol intake.

The only other interventions to consider would be omega-3 fatty acids that may help with prevention of heart disease. In reality, the evidence is stronger supporting eating foods that are high in omerga-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and tuna, rather than supplements, but if it is difficult to be regularly eating foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, a supplement would be a second-best alternative.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THANKS YOU FOR U REPLY BUT MY QUESTION IS HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY HDL. ACTUALLY MY FATHER DIED AT AG AGE 52 WITH HEART ATACK.AT THESE MY VALU AM I OK.WHAT FOOD I HAVE TAKE.

That is included in my answer, as the intervention that has been demonstrated to help raise HDL is the regular aerobic exercise that I noted above.

Even with the positive family history, you are OK with these lab results, although it would be appropriate to monitor your cholesterol numbers on a regular basis.

The foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, tuna, trout, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, and herring. It is recommended to eat such foods 2-3 times per week.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove, MD