Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I am a 65 year old woman with history of CABG, and 2 stents,

Customer Question
one inserted 2 months ago...
I am a 65 year old woman with history of CABG, and 2 stents, one inserted 2 months ago. I feel great. But 2 days ago my blood pressure shot up which required an ER visit. I believe it went off the scale. It was 257/144 in ER and continued up. I have never heard of such high B/P readings. At one point they could not get readings in either arm or by doing manual. Though all blood work was normal, CT of head normal, I had no other symptoms other than slight head ache. They don't know what caused this. I had never had high blood pressure even before heart surgery. Only have been put on B/P meds since last stent. What do you think is going on, in your opinion? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
4/29/2016
Cardiologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. As a neurologist, I see they did a normal CT scan of the brain, did they look at your carotid arteries, schedule an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) of the carotids/intracranial circulation? Other than the headache did you have any neck pain, or numbness around the jaw? You could have had a problem with the carotid sinus, a part of the carotid artery that regulates blood flow and heart rate, if you had carotid stenosis, a problem of plaque forming around the carotid artery, similar to the way it formed in your coronary arteries, requiring the CABG. I assume they scanned your carotids in the past, but with this acute change, you would have had some pain in the carotid artery area (carotid dissection, it is called). Another possibility is a similar event happened in your renal artery, the artery that supplies your kidneys, causing your blood pressure to jump up. That would have caused back pain though, and they hopefully checked your blood (BUN/Cr) to see if there was something going on?

This is truly unusual. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. I can also call you if you wish. JA charges extra for this premium service, but if you wish to discuss this on the phone, just place your number in the offer box, and a time to call if not now. Or just write back. When satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician