Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Recent hospitalization severe nose bleed rhino rocket used 1

Customer Question

recent hospitalization severe nose bleed rhino rocket used 1 week, bleeding controlled, 62 yrs old using plavix and aspirin since 2003,post mi stents placed 3 seperate occasions. have stopped blood thinners now for 4 wks have concern about stents, what is your opinion?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

You have been using the dual anti platelet therapy for quite some time now. Generally, recommendations keep changing and one should take the dual anti platelet therapy for about 12 months after stenting to be safe. If the cessation of the anti platelet drugs was recommended by your own cardiologist then there should be no qualms and you can discontinue them to make sure you don't have a nose bleed again. I would say, it is generally safe to stop the anti platelet therapy for 4 weeks at this point in time.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the star on the top of your screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

you may be able to stop but you have had many stents

when was the last stent?

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

I have a different answer for you. I am a board-certified interventional cardiologist

The recommendations for blood thinners after stent has not changed in over 10 years

First, it is not safe to stop the 2 thinners without consulting your cardiologist although it might be feasible for plavix only

The length of the blood thinners treatment depends on the type of stents, the complexity of the stented segment and how many stents used.

Plavix alone can possibly be stopped 12 months after a simple stent, but for complex stenting, few years might be needed. Only your cardiologist (or some one who knows your stenting arteries well) would be able to tell you when to stop

Generally aspirin is never stopped, it is to be continued indefinitely

Nose bleed can be controlled within a short period of time and you may go back to the plavix and asa Consult your ENT doctor and/or your cardiologist.

Let me know if you need more clarifications. Best wishes

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it

If you have more questions, just reply :)