Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

Had walking stress test on April 1. Following findings" The

Customer Question
Had walking stress test on...
Had walking stress test on April 1.
Following findings " The post test ejection fraction is 60%. Inferior and inferolateral hypokinesis is noted. A medium sized, moderate, inferior and inferolateral defect is noted, extending from apex to base. This defect demonstrates only mild reversibility. This is consistent with infarction with mild peri-infarction ischemia. Transient ischemic dilation is not seen."
Would you translate these findings into understandable language?
Have cardiac catherization scheduled April 14
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
4/8/2016
Cardiologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

The post test ejection fraction is 60% (this means the heart pumping is 60%-this is normal)

Inferior and inferolateral hypokinesis is noted. A medium sized, moderate, inferior and inferolateral defect is noted, extending from apex to base. This defect demonstrates only mild reversibility. (part of the heart isn't pumping right. This is because of a blockage that isn't giving it enough blood under stress)

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

This is consistent with infarction with mild peri-infarction ischemia. (what I said above)

You need a cath. I agree with this plan

Please don't forget to look at the rating scale for me.

I am credited for work only when you rate positive

If you have more questions, just reply :)

Cardiologist: Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Nadim Al-Mubarak

You had a nuclear walking stress test. Your stress test "suggests" that there is a critical blockage (over 70%) in one of your heart arteries. The test is not definitive but rather suggestive of a blockage that may or may not exists. The heart catheterization will provide a definitive answer. "Moderate" refers to the size of the involved heart area (as opposed to mild or sever). Inferior/inferior-lateral refers to the location of the involved area which is "the bottom of your heart".

During this test, pictures of the heart are taken before and after the stress, and are subsequently compared. Healthy heart muscle with no blocked arteries will show no defects. Healthy heart muscle with critically blocked artery will show a defect that is "fully reversible", meaning the defect noted in the pre- exercise pictures will disappear on the post-exercise pictures. Dead heart muscle (scar tissue) shows a defect that persist with no change if. Dead muscle indicates a prior heart attack

In your case there is a defect on both images, before and after the stress, with "mild reversibility, meaning most of the heart muscle in that area is dead but there are still viable heart muscle cells that are alive and can be saved once a blocked artery is found and opened.

CAUTION: This test has it's limitation and inaccuracies, and you may not have any damaged heart muscle or bad blockage in your heart arteries. The proximity of this area, the bottom of your heart. to the diaphragm/breast, often leads to this "falsely abnormal" results. This can be confirmed by the heart catheterization. Judging by the normal heart function (Ejection fraction of 60%) and the absence of "transient dilatation", you are unlikely to have had a heart attack and there might not be any critical blockage.

I am a board-certified cardiologist with 4 Boards in the different aspects of Cardiology. If you have any further questions, email me.

The post test Ejection fraction is of 60% indicates that your heart function is essentially normal.

Just checking to see if you have any further questions. I hope I answered your questions. If you are satisfied with my response, just a gentle reminder to complete the star rating, thats how we get paid.

please let me know if you need more help

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor