Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I received the following forwarded message and would like to…

Customer Question
I received the following forwarded...
I received the following forwarded message and would like to know if there is any scientific truth truth behind this ?"Pls note this as very important for all shared by a doctor. - for those who get up at night from sleep to urinate or early morning : Each individual must take note of the 3 x 1/2 minutes. Why is it important? 3 x 1/2 minutes will greatly reduce the number of sudden deaths. Often this occurs, a person who still look healthy, has died in the night. Often we hear stories of people, yesterday I was chatting with him, why did he suddenly die? The reason is that when you wake up at night to go to the bathroom is often done in a rush. Immediately we stand, the brain lacks blood flow. Why "3 x 1/2 minute" very important? In the middle of the night when you are awakened by the urge to urinate for example, ECG pattern can change. Because getting up suddenly, the brain will be anaemic and causes heart failure due to lack of blood. Advised to practice "3 1/2 minutes," which are:
1. When waking from sleep, lie in bed for the 1st 1/2 minute;
2. Sit in bed for the next 1/2 minute;
3. Lower your legs, sitting on the edge of the bed for the last half-minute. After 3 x 1/2 minutes, you will not have anaemic brain and heart will not fail, reducing the possibility of a fall and sudden death.
Share with family, friends & loved ones. It can occur regardless of age; young or old.
Sharing is Caring. If you already know, regard this as refresher."
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cardiology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/21/2016
Cardiologist: abray1115, Physician replied 2 years ago
abray1115
abray1115, Physician

Hello!

No I would disregard this statement ....no medical phenomenon as to sudden death be caused by getting up at night to urinate ...no to that ---

Frequent urination at night can be a sign of some medical conditions...

Symptom of diabetes or benign prostatic hypertrophy or a sign of sleep apnea may be associated with more often some need to get up to urinate at night ...

Getting up at night has no special need for such a gradual rise...no to that ... There is nothing magical about 3 1/2 minutes ....

The reference to sudden death most closely would be a fit to the fact that 10 percent of heart attacks may present with sudden death ( caused by a fatal arrhythmia of the heart)

We could have a discussion of heart disease/ BPH/ obstructive sleep apnea ....

Getting up at night is not associated mysteriously with sudden death as suggested by the above article ...

The above is not true at all as it is presented...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD