Hi Doctor. I have already...
Hi Doctor. I have already asked a couple of questions about my heart
, however things have developed somewhat since then. I have since been to the hospital & been told that my symptoms are due to my autonomic dysfunction, but I would really appreciate a second opinion. I will now provide you with a bullet point summary of what has transpired -
* 40 year old overweight male with a 'mild' autonomic dysfunction
* Been on 10 mg of propanolol, twice daily for 4 months
* I noticed a faint & lower than my usual pulse over three day period.
* During that period I experienced palpitations & flutters.
* At one stage I became incredibly fatigued after doing housework- heart rate of 42
* Went to the emergency department. ECG & blood tests were normal.
* Decided to stop the morning dose of propanolol
* Heart rate went up a bit over the following few days, but was acting strange. It wasn't increasing much when walking & standing up. At one point when I was lying down it began to race to around 98bpm then slowed back down after 20 minutes.
* The following day I decided to rest in bed & not worry about it. Towards the end of the day, I got up & experienced several episodes of postural tachycardia. Upon standing I became dizzy & my heart went up from 75 - 148 BPM
* I went to the emergency department once again & the admitted me to hospital. I continued to experience the symptoms over the next few days.
* I was given another ECG, Stress echocardiogram & a 24 hour holster monitor. Nothing sinister was found.
* I was put on 5mg of Coralan which has seemed to control my tachycardia
* Since coming out of hospital my heart rate has been very low 55-60 BPM at rest.
* I decided to half the dose of Coralan to 2.5 mg (twice daily) & after two days there has been only a tiny increase in my heart rate.
* Last night at rest (after eating a bag of sweets) my heart began pounding. It went from 62 -80 BPM. It was beating so hard that I could feel it through clenched fists. This lasted for about 15 minutes.
As you can gather, I've been experiencing some strange things lately. My resting pulse before I started propanolol 4 months ago used to be around 80BPM. Now I'm on 2.5 mg of Coralan & it's just touching 60. Is this normal? Do you think I require further testing or should I put it all down to an autonomic dysfunction? The main reason why I'm concerned is that I have never heard of an autonomic dysfunction that lowers ones heart rate.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated