Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

My face seems to flush quite a bit... Especially lately... I

Customer Question
Hi, my face seems to...
Hi, my face seems to flush quite a bit... Especially lately... I have noticed that it happens mostly in the evening... And mostly when my feet are cold, or when I'm chilly... I'm wondering if it could be my allergies?!?!? Or possibly something in my home???
Or, Ofcourse, something more serious??? I also, occasionally notice a whooshing in my ear... This seems to switch sides, and happens most often when I'm very mucousy... I've checked my bp, and it's usually low, sometimes up to 124/79... Thank for any help...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cardiology
10/31/2015
Cardiologist: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight changes? Any other symptoms? When did it start? Is it consisent? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problem? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

I'm 5'5 and weigh about 140... I've gained about 10 lbs in the last couple if years... I get headaches as well, but not always together... I remember this happening last year when the days started getting shorter and the weather got colder... It seems to be much worse around ovulation and before period... Not sure if it's getting worse, and can't think of anything that triggers it besides the change in weather and the days becoming shorter... No diagnosed medical conditions, but I have had crazy symptoms pop up over the last 4 or so years... Like, head pressure, quick head pains, these flushes (which also happen at work occasionally, but are much worse...) I also have low hdl... My cholesterol ratio is high, but my LDL and triglycerides aren't high, it's just bc of my low hdl... I also have a parotid tumor behind my right ear, have had it for 10+ years... I also have OCD... no surgeries and the very occasional ibuprofen... My brother has hypothyroid, my mom has high blood pressure and cholesterol... My dad never goes to the doctor!!! But he does suffer from depression and possibly anxiety...

Any medications for OCD?

No, I've had it since middle school and have never been on meds...

When you had headaches, did you have your blood pressured checked?

I monitor it at home...

Was the blood pressure increased with headaches?

Do you have regular periods?

Bp seemed normal during headaches... My periods are still on time, but they have started to stop for a day or so in between... Like I'll start and have it for 2 days, stop for a day, and then start up again for a day or more...

Ok. You don't have pheochromocytoma. You don't seem to have premature ovarian failure. Any facial skin change?

I seem to have a lot more broken capillaries (?) than I used to... My nose is always red and has some spider veins or something similar, my cheeks do too, and they are much more noticeable during the flushes...

You could have rosacea. You should see your doctor next week.

Ok, also with the whooshing in my ear, I notice that that happens sometimes when I'm straining... This symptom has worried for a while now... I had an MRI a couple of years ago, which just showed my parotid tumor and moderate sinusitis... Which it seems that I always have sinusitis... But, would the MRI have shown some type of vein abnormality or something like an aneurysm?!?!? Could the flushing have something to do with something of that nature?!?!?

Yes, MRI could detect them. But MRI angiogram is much better. They could not be related to the flushing. Since cold triggers the facial flushing, rosacea is more likely.

Ok, also... It seems like certain smells might trigger the flushing too... Not sure, but it seems like when we have candles or scentsy burning in the house I flush more?!?!? Maybe a coincidence???
the whooshing when bending over or straining?!?!? Any ideas???
Cardiologist: abray1115, Physician replied 2 years ago
abray1115
abray1115, Physician

Hello!

I see the first doctor has opted out..

With the facial flushing and the redness of the nose I agree that this does sound potentially consistent with rosecea...so a persisting redness of the nose or cheeks could fit that diagnosis and seeing a dermatologist for evaluation and treatment may be your best bet in that regard...

The whoosing sound that you hear would be a different cause >> not related to the flushing symptom I suspect ... you may benefit to see an ENT specialist to evaluate this symptom.. it could be a transmitted bruit sound >> it seems to be vascualr in nature with that.. a small vessel near the eardrum may be responsible of a larger vessel such as the caroti arteries in the neck may need to be checked >> a bruit is a sound of blood flow turbulence... a carotid bruit could be caused by atherosclerosis plaque in the artery but hopefully it is not that ( risk factor I note is your low HDL in your cholesterol profile but your age would go against this being as likley and your blood pressure numbers look good )

The flushing sensation may be caused by capillary dilation of vessels in the skin of the face.. a pink color to the face is common.. it could be that you have more focal (nose and cheeks) which could be rosacea but other causes of flushing are possible...

You note more of this within a specific part of your menstrual cycle and so it could be related to hormonal influence..

You may have capillary dilation (= flushing reaction) with certain triggers.. facial flushing or face/neck /upper chest may be related to common triggers which might include alcoholic drinks / hot foods/spicy foods as examples we see commonly.. so I would watch for these as possible triggers.. cyclic changes of estrogen and progesterone levels associated with fluctuations with your menstrual cycle would be common as well...

If it is ONLY a flushing without any specific problem as cause then in general avoiding common triggers may be helpful for this.. ( you might note with a diary what you may have eaten or drank within recent hours of a flushing episode.. ) (Again wine/other alcoholic drinks/ coffee/ hot spicy foods>> these are a few common triggers...)

An unusual aspect to your history would be the history of the parotid gland tumor.. so an ENT follow up to this would make all the more sense in my view...

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

abray1115
abray1115
abray1115, Physician