Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physician with cardiology experience
41363181

I have been having constant tight throat for almost 3 weeks

Customer Question

Hello. I have been having constant tight throat for almost 3 weeks now. Also have had chest pain and throat pain when breathing a deep breathe. Other symptoms which might not be related is pain in my joints like elbow shoulders wrists knees and ankles.
Also a bit of a decline in my appetite. I have had ekg and blood work done which all came back normal. They tested for infection. Inflammation. Heart blood work. Liver. Thyroid . What are your thoughts? Should I test more ? If so what tests
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am glad you saw your doctors and have had some tests.

what were your thyroid hormone levels?

do you have excessive anxiety or panic symptoms?

anxiety can cause tight throat symptoms and chest pains and shortness of breath symptoms and declines of appetite.

I hope you don't smoke.

cold weather, arthritis, fibromyalgia can cause joint pains in the elbows, shoulders, wrist and ankles.

I would get your tests results back first and see what those show before more testing.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All test result have come back normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I smoked for 4 years I quit about 2 years ago.
Yes I get anxiety sometimes. I'm pretty realistic about it. I jaw clench and feel nauseous. I tend to recognise symptoms.
This has just been going on for longer than I've wanted and it feels like something isn't quite right
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

your thyrotropin levels are going down over the years.

thyrotropin is the same as TSH thyroid stimulating hormone.

so it means your thyroid is producing more and more thyroid hormone.

it is still normal, but if the thyrotropin goes below 0.3 you can become hyperthyroid

this would not be causing your throat tightening and chest pains and shortness of breath symptoms. these are caused by your anxiety

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's not anxiety what other possible causes could it be. And if it's not anxiety what other tests would you run. About the tightness in the throat.
Would you suspect allergies? I do work with chemicals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and one last questions. If they test for infection in blood tests. Does that pick up on fungal infections? Or do you have to do a blood culture for that?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you can get a pulmonary function test to check for asthma and COPD

you can get a chest CT scan, but I bet these tests will be normal

don't let your anxiety symptoms run your medical diagnostic workup. this won't help and can lead to more anxiety. I don't suspect chemicals or allergies which would cause sneezing and runny nose and tearing of the eyes symptoms.

acid reflux can cause sore throat symptoms.

fungal infections are super super super rare unless you have immunocompromise situation like if you take steroids all the time or if you have HIV. regular blood tests don't check for fungal infections because they are so rare.

you don't have to worry about having a fungal infection.

your doctors can do a blood culture for fungus, but it will be negative as well

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com