Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

WE went to the ER on Wednesday night because my husband ,who

Customer Question
has congestive heart failure, that...
WE went to the ER on Wednesday night because my husband ,who has congestive heart failure, that is treated with multiple medications, was describing chest pains at level 6 right over his heart on the left side of his chest. Both his cardiology clinic and
PCP nurse advised me to make sure he had not had a heart event at the ER. They did a heart x-ray and EEG and blood work and confirmed that he had not had a "heart event". The night before he had heaved up stomach juices all night and was tired and weak from
not eating as well. When we returned home at 11:30 at night , he the almost immediately began to have gut wrenching coughing spells expelling yellow mucus. This continued all day on Thursday while I was at work. On Friday I gave his Musinex DM in the am and
pm and it broke up some congestion but he felt that it was fighting with his immune system. So Saturday he continued to lay in bed and cough and expectorate yellow mucous. He drank limited amounts of fluids despite my admonitions and has eaten VERY LITTLE
through this whole ordeal. I am wondering if the "knife cutting" pain in his chest he described on Wednesday night could have to do with pneumonia?And wold he get well without antibiotics. He is a 73 year old coffee farmer with diabetes , congestive heart
failure and a history of high blood pressure that seems to be improving. It has been around 144/78 when I take it and was not elevated at the ER on Wednesday night.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cardiology
10/19/2015
Cardiologist: Dr. Gehring, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor

Hi there, a pneumonia is possible, but the blood work would have shown if there had been a need for antibiotics last Wednesday. Yellow mucous alone is not a sign for bacterial infection.

Does your husband have fever? Is the pain still there, and if it is, changing with his movements or breathing? Does it get worse when he breathes deeply?

he says that the pain is still over his heart. He says it does not hurt more when he breathes deeply. He thinks it has to do with his heart failure and is part of why he takes Eliquis, hydralazine, metroprolol, Tab 81, Avorostatin . Plus he takes glypicide and Metformin.

Congestive heart failure doens't hurt; possible would be a coronary heart disease, but the pain caused by it is supposed to be dull, not cutting. Is the pain getting worse when he goes stairs? Can he change it while lying down (it may be his spine, after all)? Does he suffer from oedema in his legs?

He has no swelling in his legs. The pain does not get worse when he gets up and walks around. After he took his morning meds he said the pain subsided somewhat. He remains weak and energyless.

Ok, the heart failure is innocent then and not the cause of his issue. Pneumonia should go along with fever and a racking cough, and it doesn't hurt. Therefore I would assume that his issue is an infection, which may vanish by itself. The pain might have been caused by neural irrritation in his spine by coughing. I would give him rest and enough fresh air, would take his temperature now and then and have another blood work done when he is getting worse or not better not to oversee bacterial infection.

The bright yellow mucous confused me because his coughing is soo violent yet sporatic. I would have expected greenish mucous. Is there more danger of infection with the fluid build up from congestive heart failure?

Mucous can be bright yellow or greenish, depending on the kind of germs. Yes, there is more danger, if he has fluid in his lungs, but this is not likely when he has no oedema in his legs.

I wish him a soon recovery and thank you for a friendly rating for my advice.

OKAY...he is just weak and needs to res and recover from some bug. Has an appointment with PCP tomorrow....mahalo

This is what I assume, but it is necessary to have him checked regularily. You are very welcome!

Can you please hit a couple of stars for me to rate my help? Otherwise I won't get any credit for it.... Mahalo :-)

Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor