abray1115
abray1115, Physician
Experience:  Primary care with particular interest in cardiology problems and prevention. Work closely with cardiologist colleagues.
13781349

What does it mean to have sudden onset of shortness of

Customer Question

What does it mean to have sudden onset of shortness of breath after walking about 25 feet and bending over. The feeling subsided when I got to the couch and sat down
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  abray1115 replied 2 years ago.

Different things might cause this sensation. Have you had similar episodes before or recently to this?? Did you have any wheezing? Have you had any cough? Did you feel that your heart was racing?

One possibility is that the light exertion might have triggered an episode of a rapid arrhythmia such as atrial fibrillation or supraventricular tachycardia (= SVT) An episode of SVT may may you feel out of breath very easily and may be transient or short lived ...

If you are very anemic then you may get short of breath easily with exertion. That is another possible connection. If you were gradually getting anemic(low red blood cell counts) then it could be first noticed with some exertion...

Pulmonary problems might be noticed as shortness of breath. This would be more likley ongoing such that any time you had such mild exertion it may lead to the shortness of breath..

I would advise follow up check with your doctor on this as the nature of the question of >SHORTNESS OF BREATH > we take very seriously in general...

Look for other clues such as racing of your heart or cough or fever or feeling dizzy...

I hope that this is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions or information or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you don't suggest ER right now?
Expert:  abray1115 replied 2 years ago.

Perhaps if you are short of breath now .. then YES but if you are comfortable and not having trouble at all then you may wait.. absolutely go to ER if you have ongoing shortness of breath or feel faint or have heart racing. Also would be on watch for chest or back pain or such pain with taking a deep breath...

If you feel fine now with no further symptoms then it would be more of a judgement call. It may not be necessary to go to ER if you currently feel fine with no further issues..

I hope that this helps and makes sense. Let me know if you have other symptoms or other concerns. I will be happy to get back with you right away..

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm panicky now so I can't tell
Expert:  abray1115 replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Yes I understand. It could be a panic attack. Anxiety may cause a sense of shortness of breath. If any question then just play it safe and go to the ER to be checked out. I want you to be SAFE as the first priority here!

Let me know if you have any further symptoms or concerns and I will be happy to get back with you. Let me know how things go this evening.. Take care!

Anthony Bray MD