DrDLove
DrDLove, MD
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
21597572

Phil. I just completed a real time loop monitor for two

Customer Question

Hi Dr Phil. I just completed a real time loop monitor for two weeks for my palpitations. My cardiologist didn't even want to really do the test but he offered it for reassurance. I did the two weeks I have a couple questions 1. If it were anything serious
they would have contacted me right away being it was real time monitoring? Does that include short runs of fib? IRs just I am leaving on vacation and worries that if something serious needs to be addressed I will be gone. They told me it is ok to go but I'm
worried. I returned the loop four days ago and nobody has called but I did make an appointment in two weeks for follow up. 2. While on the monitor I had to take some Benadryl for allergies. I have taken a low dose on and off for two months due to seasonal
allergies ( no more than 50 mg/day and the last three days I had a bad cold and took a nighttime cold and sinus med. could these meds have induced a fib. I'm scared that by taking these meds I did something bad to my heart 3. Is it likely that the loop will
show a fib. I'm only 36 and my echo and ekg were normal but I'm worried because in the past I have had occasional runs of svt. I worry because my mom has a fib. But she also has high Bp, and drank everyday 4. I can't get this worry out of my head and I want
to enjoy my trip. Are my chances of developing a fib low? Thanks
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

1. Yes, they would typically contact you if a serious arrhythmia occurred. However, a short run of A fib will usually not be considered something that is serious. If there was anything that would be an issue while on vacation, they would not have told you that it was fine to go.

2. Cold and cough medicines that contain decongestants can stimulate the heart and precipitate SVT or A fib in someone that already has a tendency to have such rhythms. However, these drug would not have done anything bad to the heart other than the stimulation that would have occurred only while the drug was in the system.

3. If there are no risk factors for developing A fib, it would be very unlikely that this loop would have shown any A fib.

4. So, the chances of developing A fib now is also quite low, and there is no reason why you should not enjoy your trip.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would the risk factors for a fib be. I am 36 years old,female, normal echo and ekg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a bad anxiety disorder and have had a loop done a few years ago for palpitations and it just showed ectopic pvc's and occasional short runs of svt which my Dr attributed to stress and too much chocolate:) lol. my svt is very occasional and only last seconds at most. Never ever had a problem with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is a fib typically seen in people with a normal heart structures?
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 years ago.

The risk factors for A fib are any anatomic heart condition that increases atrial size or pressure, which you obviously do not have with a normal echo, along with high blood pressure, alcohol use, thyroid disease, sleep apnea, diabetes, chronic lung disease, and age. A fib can occur with normal heart structures, but it is vastly less common in someone with normal atrial size and pressure.

SVT is usually only an irritation and not something serious.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it likely theny palps are still benign and just the svt. When I get it it starts with a thud and then my heart races for a few seconds and it stops abruptly. I can usually count the beats. Does this sound like svt and not a fib?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm so worried......
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 years ago.

It is very likely that the palpitations are benign. This sounds much more like SVT.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also unlikely that taking the cold medicine caused me to have a fib
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome.

The cold medicine would not cause A fib, by itself. Typically, it will only exacerbate it if it is otherwise a problem.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.