Dr SH
Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My teenage son {16 years} has chest pain which is in the

Customer Question

Hello
My teenage son {16 years} has chest pain which is in the centre of chest and moves to left side also purple hands and feet and no energy. I took him to see a Dr last week when the pain was bad his blood pressure was up 160/100 the dr did a ECG which was alright and did bloods which came back clear, sent him home and told to rest ,went back and blood pressure was down,still has pain , feels tired no energy,etc. Dr suggested being seen by a heart specialist . to go privately is expensive but we could be waiting a long time otherwise. Any advice on what it could be or what to do would be very appreciated as something is not right with him and we are worried if we leave it and it is serious. Thankyou
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr SH replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Is the painful area tender to touch?
Has he had any blood tests recently?
Does the pain increase when he breathes deeply?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you,It is not tender to touch
Only blood tests are from initial visit to GP.
Pain not effected by deep breathing seems to travel from chest up to shoulder.
Expert:  Dr SH replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
It would be exceedingly rare to have a heart disease at his age.
So heart disease leading to this kind of pain would be VERY unlikely.
However, having said that, the symptom that bothers me a little is him being tired and having no energy.
If he has not had a thyroid hormone level checked I would have that looked at.
If a cortisol level has not been checked I would like to have a look at that as well.
He certainly does require evaluation but it is not something immediately serious or any emergency.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your response we are worried it is his heart as there are heart conditions in the family my brother of 30 had a heart attack last year and has a stent put in, myself {his mum} am on felophine due to micro vascualr disease. We have talked to his PE teacher and she has noticed over the last 5-6 weeks he hasn't the energy he used to have as he is usually very athletic which has worried her. Today after school I asked how he is and he has had more chest pain and feels stuffed, no energy, his color is very red face and purple hands , sweaty and clammy hands. He is one of 6 kids and I have not had this before. What would be causing the colour of him and clammy sweaty hands along with the pain? His GP doesn't want him doing any sport until we have got to the bottom of this but if we go on the public list it could take months . He is eating well . As a baby he had food allergies and has always had clammy hands but the colour etc has got worse as of lately.
What is cortisol level?
Expert:  Dr SH replied 2 years ago.
I understand your concerns and I also understand that this needs to be fully evaluated for heart disease but the pain that you are describing is not typical of heart disease.
The pain of the heart disease worsens on activity and relieves on rest and is more of a pressure sensation than a pain.
The pain of heart disease if a crushing kind of pain that is associated with profuse sweating (so much so that the entire clothes become drenched in sweat).
So, it is still unlikely that he has heart disease.
However, I would still like that he should be fully evaluated by a cardiologist considering the family history.
Also if he has not had his thyroid function test done I would do it immediately.
A raised level of thyroid hormones can cause one to have a lot of sweating.
Cortisol is our natural body steroid released for the adrenal gland.
So checking this hormone would rule out adrenal fatigue.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards