Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I have read some of your answers and you answer so deeply I

HI I have read some...

HI I have read some of your answers and you answer so deeply I had double by pass in 2009 and a cardioectomy sp in 1995 and other one in 2012 My Doc has tried me on statins Lipitor for year and Crestor for 3 months Had problems with fatigue and joint and muscle aching with both then tried Red YEast Rice and had the same reaction two weeks off and I feel fine as far as the side effects go. He has me on Beta Bitosterol now am to take another Blood workup in a month. My question is the Beta going to work at all My cholesterol has never been High altho the good been 60 to 65 all the time All together usually under 200 Something is causing my arteries to clog?? NO one has come up with answer. I try especially now without a Statin watch my diet I am a caregiver for 40 years for my daughter Quad Cp and there has been a lot of stress during this time As I also took care of my parents and brother so they could pass at home also. And I will be first one to admit stress altho I do get fun times too now that I have done all I Can for my parents and brother before they passed. my daughter and i have a lot of fun. I am 70 would like to be around a while longer to finish baking (LOL) my son who will take over and daughter to carry on. I am 189lbs 5 8" Trying to watch my diet and eat all healthy and when able 3 or 4 times a week do walks or stationary bike I am on MEtoprolol 12 half mg, blood pressure 120/70 nite 95/55, Lasix 20 mg as needed Klor con if lasix taken, Allopurinol 300 mg for gout, Baby Asprin X1, klonipin .5 nite, CoQ10 200mg, Fish OIl, Calcium 600, Beta Sitosterol 2400 mg divided three 800 a day, Vit D. Vit E I also had two attacks of Abfib JAn 2012 was on amiodarone 100 mg for 6 mos stopped because i had a fear of it because my Dad got Fibro of lungs from it. Since seems fine except once in a while i will feel a skipped beat mostly when i lay down at nite. Also on Xlerto 20 mg blood thinner I know I have that one sp. My question also What can I Do more especially on Statins to control blockages?? Anything besides over the counter sitosterol? I try to not eat any red meats once in a week I like to go out and have a small steak or fried catfish but other than that none during the week, I eat salads and tuna fish and whole grain bread I Might have TB of butter a week but use mostly OLive OIl and I Eat a lot of fruits and no caffeine at all. Can you help me with my question I got to thinking the results of the statin was in my head till the pains went away and I got my energy back. Just once in while I get a shotting pain but do no believe it is neurophy? and then the skipped beats once in while Thank you RenaJean

4/5/2013
Camille-Mod

My name is ***** ***** I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.
RenaJean,
I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have had in the past and all the issues that continue to be unresolved even with the best efforts of your current doctors.
At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

HI thank you for your response I have thought about going to the Mayo clinic in AZ would this one be as good as the you mention in Minn.? I am in Colorado Springs and this would be so much closer

If you go to one of the Mayo Clinics and I gather up as much info as I can what do you do Just walk in or call and make appt for what a consultation is what you tell them??

and they will accept you Medicare?

Thank you for your time

Rena

Rena,
Yes. The Mayo Clinic is very good and you will get the same high quality care there as you would in Rochester MN
I would call and make an appointment for a consultation. Either bring your records with you on the day of the visit or, even better yet, get them the records before your visit so the doctor can review them ahead of time.
Yes. They accept medicare :)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Till my appt with all I mentioned wouldn't it be OK to have maybe a steak once a week fat free and a tablespoon of breakfast you know something as a treat I am loosing some weight too 12 pds in month so that should help some too right and doing at least 15 min to 20 min a day exercise on stationary bike and trying to eat all healthy rest of week what else can i do to make sure I am not clogging up again of course I am busy all day most of it being a caregiver so I am not sendentry that is for sure

It is perfectly OK to have a steak now and again along with breakfast, especially since you are exercising more and actively loosing weight.
You've earned a treat or two....just as long as you don't over do it :)
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me :)
Have a great weekend.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Thank you for your Time and I will be leaving feedback and tip

Best

Rena

HI I have been off Statins for almost two months now feel a lot better in my muscles and energy level well more than a lot better I take mega strength Beta Sitosterol over the counter 375 mg one befor eeach meal for two months now

JUst got my lipid Panel back and it is Tri 81 Cholesterol 152 HDL 51 and LDL 85

I do not believe this is too bad??

I am active being a caregiver and also do aqua therapy as much as possible

I have had both sides of neck done once in '95 and 2012 and a double bypass in 2009

I am on Xarellto 20 mg and baby aspirin along with 12 and half miligram of metropol

My blood pressure runs right at 120 70

Does this test results sound all right after being off statins for 2 months crestor and lipitor

I also have lost 7 pds in that time I still am heavy at 192 tho

But even when I had the surgeries I did not have that high cholesterol??

What else can I do I take CoQ10 300 mg a month, fish oil, calcium, Vit c, B12, take lasix once in while when legs swell from heat or being up on them, and Klor Con.

I had a complete hysterectomy when 26 so silch on hormones for all those years

Thank you for your time

Rena

Rena,
It is good to hear back from you. From what you have posted you are doing a lot better, especially on the weight loss :)
I think you should, at this point, just keep doing what you are doing. I wouldn't change a thing.
Does this make sense to you?

Is there any reason that causes plaque buildup when your cholesterol readings are not high as it has been for 20 years?? what would cause them to build up?? Cannot find out why??

Thank you

Rena

Rena,
That is an excellent question and hundreds of scientists around the world are, right now, searching every day for the answer to that question :)
Plaque buildup is a complex process....unfortunately, cholesterol levels are just part of the picture -- although they are, at least, a part we can control.
Hopefully more will be known about this process in the coming decades so that we can impact the buildup of this gunk....
I hope you have a good day.
Dr Rick MD FACS

one other question?? on this subject Since I had a complete hysterectomy at 26 and only took hormones for 10 years and then have had gout also since 30 controled by allopurninol would any of that cntribute to the buildup?? as my father did not have it altho my mother had diabetes and strokes but not from buildup My father died from lung cancer Also smoked up till 8 years ago would this have had some doing for this

Thank you for your help in trying to understand this

Rena

also and this is truly my last one why were the docs so insistant I take the statins and then so slow in realizing they really were hurting me and i was one of the rare ones that had such a bad reaction with my muscles?? especially with the low cholesterol readings until i finally insisted I was going off them Do they do something other than lower the test Also on inflamation what over the counter could i take to help in case i have some of that going on in my arteries

Rena,
It is possible that any and all of these things has contributed to your issue. Modern science really does not have a very good understanding of this entire process.
Heck, a recent article has even sprinkled doubt if controlling cholesterol is the answer :(
But, for now all we can do is continue the research and to our best to control the things we can control.
Does this make sense?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Thank you very much for your help with my questions I will be leaving feedback and a tip and always enjoy speaking with you Have a great evening

Rena

Colorado

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD