Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

It started this loud humming n scraping noise when I turn…

It started this loud...

It started this loud humming n scraping noise when I turn the heater off and on now it’s doing it as soon as key is turned over ( the heater/ac knobs are completely turned off)

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you been experiencing power issues? Does the power come back on eventually?

I’m sorry? I don’t have a “power” issue persay

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Nissan?

2010 Sentra

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Nissan Sentra Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Well yes as stupid as this sounds I had a small oil leak we it was a quart low this has been an ongoing problem unrelated to this humming noise but I did accidentally forget to put oil cap on completely and oil sprayed everywhere I put 3 quarts in it ofc after I realized what I had done and remarkably it’s still driving fine BHT there’s oil everywhere ofc

3/2/2022
Auto Mechanic: Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Is the noise you are hearing coming from inside the vehicle, under the dash, or outside under the hood?

More like in the dash and under the hoodA bit louder inside car but like dash area under the hood idk if that helps ‍♀️Hello

If you turn the key to accessory position, and move the HVAC knobs from heat to cold, and move the vent control, do you hear the noise?

Without starting the engine.

it starts as soon as the key turns over before completely startingIt didn't start out that way ‍♀️ but now it is

Does it make noise when you change the knobs as well as when you first turn the key on, or only when you first turn thew key on?

At first it was only when I turned the heater etc knobs on I kinda ignored it ig u could say but now it's as soon as you turn key over not completely started even n I try to turn the heater/ac defroster etc buttons each way to no avail

Which knob, when turned, is making the noise. Is it when you change the temperature, or the vent flow?

None of them have any effect on it now

Which one was it before?

It started out when I'd turn ok there's 3 knobs 1st one is low high etc the 2nd one is cold or hot and the 3rd one is feet/hands,defroster,vent etcI'm trying to think I believe when it first started it was usually the 1st one the high/low knobBc as soon as I turned that one off it'd quit ( now that's irrelevant like I was saying bc it's as soon as u turn key partially to on and no kind of turning knobs helps)

Give me just a minute, I'm looking up some information specific to your year and model vehicle.

Ok no problem thank you

Ok, first thing I did was to check for service bulletins. There aren't any relating to this issue.

Keeping in mind, I am not able to put my hands on your vehicle, or listen to it, it sounds like you have an issue with one of the HVAC actuator motors. When the key is turned on, those do a self test, and move to make sure the computer knows the position they are in. These actuators can make quite a bit of noise when they start to have issues. When that happens, the one that is making noise (there are 3 of them) needs to be replaced.

Is this something you think you are comfortable replacing yourself? It could require dash disassembly to access the actuators.

well my son can it's funny he told me when it first started a blower motor and/ or the components

If the blower motor is off, it shouldnt make any noise at all when the key is turned on. I will get you a diagram showing the location on the HVAC assembly of the actuators. Someone will have to get down in the floorboard and listen to the actuators when the key is turned on to see exactly which one is making noise and needs replacement.

Oh okI misunderstood is all

Will be looking at numbers 3, 6, and 7 in this diagram.

Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
Oh dear ok I think see I have a credit card for Firestone I just didn't want to be charged outrageous pricesI mean everyone needs paid no offense to anyone but this seems like a problem for a mechanic not myself idt
It can be a little involved if you don't have experience with this type of repair. Sometimes it IS better to pay someone to handle it rather than get in over your head.
Yeah I feel like that's the only way for me to go this timeThank you sooooo much for all yr help.
No problem. We will be here for you with all your future needs.