Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Rear of ZF5HP24 transmission has stamped only open @ 30 to55…

Rear of ZF5HP24 transmission...

Rear of ZF5HP24 transmission has stamped only open @ 30 to55 degress centigrade. Why? I have an electronic issue with tranny. Trying to replace output sensor. Would like to teplace input sensor also. Some info says they are the same others say different

Mechanic's Assistant: The manual car Mechanic can absolutely help you replace the sensor. Are you fixing the vehicle yourself?

Can replacing zf4hp24 trans output & input speed sensor. Can sensors be replaced backwards. Two pins are same size. Appears it can be plugged in

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your manual car?

It is a 1999 Jag XJ8 automatic. Don’t want to reinstall sensor backward. Same size pins makes me think it doesn’t matter. But expensive fluid makes me want to be sure before I re-fill

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the manual car Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Stuck in drive. Tranny works smooth after you rev it up enough to BANG in gear. Than it slips til you get up to 5th gear speed. Tried used ECU. Same issue. Tranny was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago. Hate to junk car when I have convinced myself it’s electronic. Drove home 500 mi. With issue. Ran fine. Dropped tranny pan to get to sensor. Fluid clean with no debris on magnets or pan. I believe it was filled with incorrect fluid “ red “ shouldn’t it be green?

1/30/2022
Auto Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

That stamping is referring to the fill plug at the rear of the transmission. IF the plug is removed with the transmission at a higher temperature, the fluid will drain out and at that point the transmission fluid level will be too low. The fluid level MUST be checked with the transmission between these temperatures. If you are replacing a sensor that does not require draining the fluid or fluid coming out with the sensor removed, you should have no issues in replacing the sensor. If fluid comes out and the temperature is above 55 degrees you will have to let the vehcle sit for at least 8 hours before removing the plug and performing the fluid filling procedure...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

That makes sense. My mechanical ability is real close to "I know just enough to get me in trouble". Was a small engine repair guy for awhile & and do owner allowed repair on a small Cessna airplane I own. I am completely lost when it comes to electricity. Hope that helps with how to deal with me. Don't be shy about dumbing it down for me.

You stated: "Tranny works smooth after you rev it up enough to BANG in gear. Than it slips til you get up to 5th gear speed. Tried used ECU. Same issue. Tranny was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago. Hate to junk car when I have convinced myself it’s electronic."

Did you scan for codes before getting into the transmission? If so what were these codes?

Slipping, even if the root cause is electronic is DEFINITELY detrimental. The slipping and banging WILL cause the clutches to wear out and require the transmission to be overhauled again...

You stated: "Fluid clean with no debris on magnets or pan. I believe it was filled with incorrect fluid “ red “ shouldn’t it be green?"

Correct, the fluid should not be red. ZF transmission fluid is basically clear with a green tinge to it...

Thank you,

Robert

Just had to get car home. Was easy on the revs to get it in gear. Only had to get up to 5th gear speed three times. To get gas & one red light. I'v been fooling with this awhile so can't remember all codes that have popped up. I have a recurring torque converter code that comes up for the default that the tranny doesn't go into direct drive at the point of tranny & engine are same RPM. It defaults off so it doesn't stall when stopped. Not worth fixing. For now my main question is " can you put the sensors in backward"?

Can you take a pic of the sensor in question and post it here? If I see it I should be able to tell.

Thank you,

Robert

Keep in mind. I don't mean input put in output. I mean put pins in opposite of the right way. Pins are same size so I'm guessing you can't. Just need to be sure. Input & output sensors are same part #

Yeah, they won't matter. If there was an issue with orientation, the sensor and mounting location would be indexed in some way to avoid incorrect installation...

Thank you,

Robert

Thanks thats what I thought. Car is old & I just need to try a fix before I junk it. No shop will touch it. British, electric issues, 23 years old. Even a Jag dealer told me to get lost. I have sensors & correct fluid ordered. I'm going to put original TCM back in. Exact same issues with used TCM. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. *****

Cool that's what I was going to mention about the TCM. THese are vin matched and an incorrect vin in the TCM may cause issues...

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

I kind of knew that but for $50 it was worth a try. To be honest I was surprised & happy that the car didn't seem to have any issues with the wrong TCM. With it not being programed I was expecting the ECM to not recognize it.

It is hit and miss when using swapped modules... always best to keep the correct vin in all modules.

Like I said in my intro. Those electrons confuse me. I still can't figure out how a magnet works. Thanks.

You're welcome..

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician