Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

You have been helping me with a 2001 Mercury Cougar

Hi Josh. You have been...
Hi Josh. You have been helping me with a 2001 Mercury Cougar Transmission problem. Yesterday I decided to check the transmission fluid and noticed that it was about 2" above the full mark and has a burnt smell to it Would this be causing the problems with the transmission not to go in reverse and leak out fluid. Do you have any step by step on how to rebuild the transmission. The model of transmission is CD4E Please help
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2022
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Lehrman, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel Lehrman
Daniel Lehrman, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome JustAnswer. My name is***** whom am I speaking?
My name is KT

Good day KT. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your Cougar CD4E. Thanks for trusting JustAnswer and me to solve your problem.

I can offer highly detailed repair assistance or guidance and protocol if you take your vehicle to a professional.

Please confirm or clarify your inquiry: As I understand your problem, your Mercury Cougar transaxle will not go into reverse, and when you checked the fluid it was 2” overfull and smelled bad. You want to know about a step by step guide how to rebuild a CD4E transaxle?

Overfull would not cause a loss of reverse. Before any work is performed we need to diagnose your reverse problem in advance.

Please clarify my questions. Thank you.

If I don't respond immediately, I am reviewing your query while you are viewing this message. Please give me a moment to evaluate your problem in detail-you can send me pictures or videos that better describe your issue. Also, I will probably ask additional questions to improve the focus on my solution. If you are a mechanic, please say so. Thank you. Danny L ASE

I have worked on cars and trucks but old school type. The transmission was bought from an auto wrecking yard. I installed the transmission and I did have forward gears and reverse. The following day I went to move the car and it made a pop sound and after that I had no reverse but still had forward gears. When in park the car acts like its in drive. and when running it leaks out fluid from the filler tube. I really need help on this as its my daughters car

TK, I'm sorry to say this but the CD4E was a troublesome transmission. I've been a transmission shop owner for almost 40 years and have plenty of experience with CD4E transaxles. I promise you we can solve your traansaxle problems and make a better CD4E.

The 'pop' sound is not a good omen.

If your CD4E lost reverse and it pulls forward all the time (even in park) the main input clutch cylinder is broken. That is a theoretical fact of operation.  A very common problem that has been rectified and updated by Ford with a stronger drum. Meaning the drum is fractured, and or the forward clucthes, or one of the components in the input system is welded or locked not allowing reverse to operate. 

Of course we can prove this using a line pressure gauge. Diagnosis is over ninety percent of the job with transmissions since we can't see through the metal.

Having said all of that I can provide any assistance you need regarding rebuilding your CD4E. But first lets get a beaded on whats going on before you remove it from its testbed-the car.

Thank you for listening, how would you like to proceed?

Danny

My daughter sent her car to me with no transmission in it. Had to find one from a wrecking yard. They said it tested okay. I installed the transmission and it had forward and reverse . So the main input clutch cylinder is broken why I have no reverse know. What kind of line pressure gauge do I need to do this test. What pressure should I have.Can you send me any information and diagrams and step by step on what I need to fix this problem. I'm going to be away from the computer for about an hour will check back

Greetings KT. I loaded the same manual we use at our shop for CD4E transmissions. It is very detailed. You will need some special tools and guidance. Of course I can provide guidance.

The offending drum I am speaking about is on page 82, part number 10.

Inexpensive transmission line pressure gauge. (Available on Amazon, or at most auto parts stores)

I will also give you the updated components part number, rebuild kit, update kit and a some tips on producing a better CD4E transaxle. 

Thank you KT. I await your reply.

I appreciate you listening to me, Danny

HI Here is a picture of the break down on the CD4E transmission Can you look at it and circle what parts need to be replace.

Greetings, I will send you a list of the parts that need to be replaced in every rebuilt transmission, including updates and the part number for the updated drum.

It will take me an hour or two to assemble a said list. Ordinarily, we replace all the soft parts, consisting of seals, o rings, clutches, bands, solenoids, sensors, gaskets, internal wiring harness, bushings, bearings, torque converter, and washers. Soft parts come in rebuild kits. 

The drum I speak of is an intricate part. Complex parts are not replaced unless they are wrong or damaged. 

Rebuilding a transmission is highly complicated and requires several components to become successful.

• Familiarity with the job.

• Extreme cleanliness

• Correct tools. 

Thank you for listening to me; I promise you will be successful if you cooperate with me, Danny.

Part number 195-forward direct clutch housing is the offending part on the diagram you sent me.

okay thank you

May I get the vehicle identification number and engine size, please? Thank you, Danny

Greetings KT. Listed below are the parts and numbers required to rebuild your CD4E transmission. Of course, we can’t see through the metal, so it is wise to wait until the unit is removed and disassembled and inspected before you order the parts.

Why, because everything I list below are the parts I replace in every CD4E I rebuild, including the updated drum. To that point, I carefully inspect the unit for ‘hard part’ damage. As in-pump-planetary gears, -shafts-drums, etc. Hard parts are not designed to wear, but they do, so they must be inspected after removal.

Furthermore, cleanliness is next to Godliness. So, working in a clean environment and cleaning your parts so clean you can eat off them is critical to your success.

• Compressed Air.
  • Brake Dry Clean # 10 cans. (Unless you have a clean cleaning tank).
  • Master Rebuild Kit #96006BP
  • Drum-updated #A96554C
  • Bushing Kit #96030
  • Washer Kit #596200
  • Valve body update kit-(key to making a better CD4E) #T96167 (Transgo)
  • Filter #96010
  • Cooler Flush Kit #TFK1 #1
  • 100% Synthetic Automatic transmission Fluid #11 Quarts
  • Remanufactured Torque Converter…Call Gus with exact specifications.
  • Transtar Industries-Gus 1-***-***-**** X-1
  • Special tools # T-2301

Note: Always make sure the part numbers are correct before you buy them. Call Gus at 1-***-***-**** X-1 to confirm the part numbers before you purchase.

In my next message I will provide tips for a successful rebuild. Such as flushing your transmission cooler. 

Please review this message, if anything is unclear, please let me know. 

Thank you for listening to me, You chose a difficult job to attempt, I admire you, together we will solve your CD4E problems.

Danny

Auto Mechanic: Daniel Lehrman, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

Greetings. Rebuilding a transmission requires several ingredients to be successful. Your transmission is a highly complex piece of equipment with more than several hundred parts inside, including solenoids, bushings, bearings, washers, rubber o rings, clutch plates, planetary gears, and a pump. Anything short of a logical, calculated approach will not lead to perfection.

The first and foremost is cleanliness. Transmissions require extreme cleanliness because of the number of parts and complexity of an automatic transmission. An automatic transmission is a hydraulic pump and has a plethora of cavities and passages that collect debris over the years.

When you clean your parts, you will need compressed air to force dirt and contamination through the passages.

The second is following directions and organization. Please familiarize yourself with the transmission you are rebuilding before disassembling it for inspection. Use a systematic procedure to lay the parts on your workbench. Purchase a professional transmission repair manual online at ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group).

The third suggestion is to use the special tools recommended for the transmission you are rebuilding. Special tools will make the job easier. Otherwise, parts (drum seals and Teflon rings) may be damaged if special tools are not used.

Tips:

1. Use a seal installer to install seals. Pack the inside of the seal, behind the metal pressure band, with frozen Vaseline, and install the seal on the seal installer, then put a small amount of Blue Loctite around the perimeter of the seal before you band it in with a wood or brass mallet.
  2. Coat the rubber o rings with STP for ease of fit and use your seal installers.
  3. Soak the clutches and bands in automatic transmission fluid.
  4. Use plenty of STP and transmission fluid, so the transmission issue'’ inside, thus not allowing for dry startups.
  5. Add one quart of AFT to the torque converter before installing it in the front of the transmission.
  6. FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION cooler. (most crucial unperformed step) Usually located in the radiator. Not Flushing the debris out of the transmission's cooling system is critical; otherwise, the debris is flushed into the rebuilt transmission once the fresh ATF gets hot and releases the detergents in the ATF. The detergents allow the debris to enter the transmission and stick valves in the valve body. (Because ATF is changed not very often, it contains a 27 additive package, including friction modifiers and detergents).
  7. Use factory-approved full synthetic transmission fluid.
  8. Ensure you have clearance between the torque converter and flexplate when you bolt the engine and transmission together, or the pump will become damaged.
  9. Fill your transmission in neutral with the wheels off the ground. The vehicle must be at operating temperatures.
  10. Check for leaks.
  11. Road test for 30 minutes, or until at full operating temperature with a scan tool hooked up to monitor the electrical system.
  12. Recheck your work for leaks.

Thank you for cooperating and taking my advice. Use this recipe, and you will be sucessful.

Danny

Greetings. I'm checking as a matter of importance. I've provided a solution and answered your questions about your CD4E. I'm not abandoning you. This thread remains open for a few more days. You should be able to make your repairs or make a good decision with the above guides. Either way, you are better educated to make a solid decision.

It has been my pleasure assisting you; I hope I have given a satisfactory answer. If any of my solutions is unclear, please let me know. My goal is to deliver top-notch service; please let me know if you need further assistance. I invite you to ask me any follow-up questions. Thank you for using JustAnswer and me.

You can request me by adding me to your favorites. You can also go to your "my questions" page on JustAnswer.com to open a new question, type or copy and paste: "FOR Danny L ASE ONLY," and then type your new question.

Daniel Lehrman