Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Daniel, Im thinking the most cost effective way to get my…

Hi Daniel, Im thinking the most...
Hi Daniel,
Im thinking the most cost effective way to get my audi fixed is to buy a salvaged a4 (maybe with water damage) and pay someone for the labor.
who would most likely do this( ie. independent body shop , mechanic, etc. )?
what would be the best way to work out this kind of deal/arrangement?
10/26/2021
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Chaidez

Hello again Jake. That would be the best way to go about it since you can also sell the A4 chassis and powertrain to offset the cost of the entire salvaged car. Have you already been in contact with a body shop near you? You live in New York correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not for this plan. but yes Ny.
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

Alright. Well this is what I would do in your shoes. Buy that salvage A4. Look for cars with water damage, wiring damage or a blown engine. You just want the body panels to be fine. Make a local Facebook Marketplace or forum post saying that you are looking for a body tech to swap panels. Your best bet would be find an experienced body tech that can do this as a side job at night and on weekends. This is a common thing for mechanics and body shop guys so you may find a tech that already does this. It may take a little longer and you have to do a little more leg work but you will save on the costs versus going to a shop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
amazing answer! would be common to let the tech keep the rest of the A4 for reduced labor as part of a deal?
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

Its not a common deal but its worth offering. They will know what its worth and may be wanting to sell the parts himself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok amazing, thanks so much daniel!oh one last q if thats ok
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you think would be a fair price range for this arrangement to do the work?
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

Thats a tricky question. It will all depend on what that specific tech will charge. Most guys charge less than 75 an hour for their time, so rough ballpark on 1500? If they accept the Audi you can maybe get out of this for just under 1k.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok! thanks again!
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

im happy to help! Is there anything else I can help you with related to the body work on your S4?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope!
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

Alright well it was a pleasure to help you today Jake. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Have a great rest of your day!

Daniel Chaidez
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you the man
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Chaidez,
 replied 1 year ago

thank you!