Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I had to have my engine replaced a few months ago after it…

I had to have...

I had to have my engine replaced a few months ago after it threw a rod. Fortunately, it was mostly covered by an extended warranty. After the replacement, everything worked fine for a while, but now, when I accelerate from a complete stop, there is a single pop sound. I read that this could be a busted motor mount. I was planning on taking it in next week, but now, there is another problem. As I pulled into my garage last night, I smelled something burning. I checked under the hood and found that there is a significant leak in the power steering reservoir. I can't see the exact location of the leak, but I think it might be a crack in the plastic. It only leaks consistently when the engine is running and the engine is revved. My questions are: does a busted motor mount sound right for the popping sound? Could the leaking power steering reservoir be caused by something done wrong with the engine replacement, or will I have to pay for that repair myself? Is there a temporary fix I can do so that I can drive my car to the shop?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

No whining. I checked the fluid level myself this morning, but it hasn't been checked professionally in a while

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 Buick Lucerne

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lucerne yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything, other than identifying the source of the leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

2/29/2020
Auto Mechanic: MICHAEL, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
MICHAEL
MICHAEL, Auto Mechanic

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** for giving us the chance to help with your question. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with your Lucerne. It very well could be the engine mount that is making the pop sound. It is definitely the first thing I would check if it was brought in to our shop. Also if the mount is moving this could be what has caused the steering reservoir to break. When the engine moves around more than it is designed to the line could be pulled to tight and the result could of been the reservoir cracked. Now that being said it could also just be ten year old plastic that has cracked. As far as a temporary fix there is not really much you can do with it being cracked. You could try to get some plastic epoxy and clean it off real well and see if you could "patch" it, this has very mixed results. I would probably try not to drive it much so you do not damage the steering gear or pump, these are very costly repairs. It is really hard to say if this was caused by the shop who did the install or not, but if they are a reputable shop they should take responsibility for the repair if they caused it. Do make sure to voice your concern but try not to outright blame them just because that always seems to get them on the defensive. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Thank you for your help! This is all good information to have. The fluid is leaking directly onto exhaust pipes, so I'm not going to drive it at all, because I've heard that can cause a fire. I am going to call the shop and see if they will cover the cost for towing the vehicle.Before I talk to the shop, I also wanted to get your opinion on another issue I've been having since the engine was replaced. After a few weeks, the engine started to run somewhat rough. The idle noise is louder, and the noise when accelerating at low speeds is also quite a bit louder. There is also more vibration during idle than usual. This is an intermittent issue. Sometimes (rarely) it won't be there at all, and sometimes it is worse. It is always is the same from when I start the car to when I stop it (it never gets better or worse during one driving "session").Finally, I just wanted to ask, as a mechanic yourself, how should I approach this issue with the shop? I don't want to sound like I'm blaming them, as you mentioned, and I also don't want to make it sound like I don't think they know what they're doing. I do need to get across, however, that I need this to be fixed and that I need to make sure nothing else will go wrong, related to this engine failure. I spent quite a bit of money on the engine replacement (even though I know I could have paid a lot more without the extended warranty) and on a subsequent fuel injector seal issue just after the replacement. I really can't afford to pay any more, or spend any more time on this issue. I am a college student, so I am really low on both time and money. I drive a lot because my school, home, and work are not close together, so I rely heavily on my car and really need it to feel reliable again.

With the engine starting to get a little rougher there may be a possibility that there is a damaged vacuum line/hose. This could cause a vacuum leak and will allow more air to enter the system which in turn will cause a bit of roughness, this could also be an effect of a broken motor mount, possible engine movement disturbing the routing of the line(s). This may not be the case but a possibility, do definitely mention it to them, it is always a good idea to give as much information as possible to help with diagnosis.

As far as how to approach the shop, the way you worded it to me is actually perfect in my opinion. You were able to voice you areas of concern at the same time you stated that you are not casting blame but do want to make sure your vehicle is reliable. Money does not come easy for most of us and especially you being in college right now. You need to save every penny you can.

MICHAEL
MICHAEL, Auto Mechanic
Thank you very much for all your help! I really appreciate it. I hope I will be able to get everything fixed soon!

I do too, please let me know how it goes and any other questions that may arise once you get it into the shop, try to have a great rest of the weekend!