Car

My wifes car is a 2004 Lincoln ls 3.0 v-6 one day started…

My wifes car is...

My wifes car is a 2004 Lincoln ls 3.0 v-6 one day started car to go somewhere and steering felt heavy, changed power steering pump and still same problem it actually got a little better. What else could be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining... Read full answer

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Fluid level good no noises from power steering pump dew to low oil or failing pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a shop doing work but they seem like they can't find problem. Changed power steering pump

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/31/2018
DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician

Hi, Welcome to JA!

I'm , Russ-(Doctor-D), a senior Expert here at JA and will be reviewing your case and offering my assistance.

Give me a few minutes to look up common issues and bulletins.

Also please provide me Model year, engine size and any/all info as well as previous repairs you feel relevant to this case...

Did we put a re-built PS pump on as a "hunch" or was there definitive things wrong with it, such as run dry, ect?

See attached picture,

I'm seeing a lot of issues with (#2) steering knuckle u-joints binding up and needing replaced, corrosion/rust/failed bearings,ect...

I'm still researching, just posting what I know thus far.

hello Russ 2004 3.0 engine size v-6 nothing prior as far as repairs this what happened. wife left the house car was fine went to her Mom's done their she starts car goes to reverse steering feels heavy, tight she says turns car off starts it again still same.sent to shop they said pump needs to be replaced so they did and same thing. They had to back order pump I found the one and only pump on island reman. from auto zone, dealer zero napa zero, everyone else zero. shop says I may have a defective pump. Thanks

A defect pump is possible, and yes that's runs us in a wild goose chase haha...

Could be a bad steering gear as well. The dealer has more inventory of pumps then gears, so as an indicator, pumps are slightly more common.

CLICK HERE FOR NEW FORD PUMP #

In my history, Its mostly been pumps, so I understand your shops reasoning.

Not a fan of aftermarket pumps at all, due to reasons we are experiencing... lack of trust for new part...

Do have them check the u-joint, on the column shaft for binding/stiffness.... however that usually doesn't happen suddenly as you described.

I'm going to say pressure test the pump, verify its a no pump... then buy a FORD pump as in that link I gave you above...

goofy question, does this car have a rack and pinion? Could that be a contributor to the problem? Or that is what you mean by steering gear.I found something online about a power steering valve solenoid, application on Lincoln LS does this sound like it applies. it also mention a power steering pressure switch the function is to control idle speed when turning steering, something to that effect.

Its does, that's what we call a steering gear... It can do what you've described, and when it does it usually because a pump internally below up and crap went through the system and got into the rack and broke it..... Have the pressure test it, that will tell us if we have hydraulic pressure.

DoctorD
DoctorD, Auto Service Technician

Yes on the VAPS, BUT it cant really have that dramatic of an effect on assist....

Principles of Operation

Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS)
The VAPS system controls the level of power assistance available to the driver based on vehicle speed. Below 3.2 km/h (2 mph), full power steering assist is provided to lessen steering efforts and increase maneuverability. Between 3.2 km/h (2 mph) and 191 km/h (119 mph), steering assist will decrease gradually at a calibrated rate to raise steering efforts for increased directional stability and greater road feel. Above 191 km/h (119 mph), steering assist is constant.

The Front Electronic Module (FEM) outputs a Pulse-Width-Modulated (PWM) current to the control valve actuator. The control valve actuator controls the hydraulic valve that determines the amount of hydraulic assist provided to the steering gear. The amount of assistance provided varies with the control valve actuator current, which is based on vehicle speed according to a look-up table internal to the FEM. The FEM pulse-width modulates the control valve actuator current to provide the desired amount of assistance. The amount of hydraulic steering assistance provided by the VAPS subsystem is proportional to the average control valve current.

The vehicle speed is provided to the FEM through the Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) network from the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS).

The engine rpm is provided to the FEM through the SCP network from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The FEM uses the engine rpm to determine if the engine is running. The FEM will only output control valve actuator current when the engine is running to minimize noise, vibrator, or harshness when the engine is off. The FEM will assume the engine is running only if the engine rpm is greater than 100 rpm.

Upon engine start, the FEM will provide a 200 millisecond full-on pulse followed by a 150 millisecond full-off pulse to the control valve actuator. Normal VAPS system operation will begin after this cleaning stroke is complete. In an event that the rpm signal is invalid from the PCM (less than 100 rpm), and the vehicle speed is less than 1.6 km/h (1 mph), the VAPS system will not carry out the cleaning stroke or apply current to the control valve actuator. When the engine speed exceeds 100 rpm, the system carries out the cleaning stroke and begins applying calibrated current to the actuator.

Its part of the rack and pinion, and again if crap got internal and went systemic, it could create issues.... If we have good pressure at the pump, then yes your going to have to go there and it will be expensive unfortunately...

Ok I will ask mechanic to do that, now with this VAPS does this mean that it could be the cause of heavy steering?

that's the solenoid you mentioned above, It can move it like 25% ~approx, but it cant turn it off, which it sounds like your describing no assist at all?

Stupid car isn't worth the effort but the wife likes the car. Ok to recap have pump pressure tested if correct pressure look toward the steering gear and if not ( junk the car, or the wife)

Yes sir! But cost wise... Hopefully you just got a bad pump..... Have a great weekend!

Thanks for your help have a good weekend too Aloha

Thank you for trusting Just Answer for your Question.

This is a Q&A service not a diagnostic service.. I can give you professional advice, which includes Factory Bulletins, Recalls & Instruction. I can give you 30+ years of Professional Experience /Advice. If your condition is common we can actually often repair your vehicle. However its up to you and your ability to test and relay communication as to whether you can properly diagnose your vehicle. Please rate your expert as to answering your questions in a professional manner. Only you can fix your vehicle, as we are unable to perform the testing and see the subjects ourselves. Only with a positive rating can we be compensated for our time helping you achieve this goal.

My questions to you and your answers to me gives me a better understanding to what the repair shop tells me. At least now I can at least sound like I know a little about what they are talking about. So that I won't be charged for something I don't need to be. Thanks

I appreciate your extra support. That's what we are , your second professional opinion, because yes we see a LOT of fraud in this business sadly..

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2011 Buick Lacrosse CSX with 36000 miles. I
I have a 2011 Buick Lacrosse CSX with 36000 miles. I purchased it used in October 2018. I have an intermittent groaning sound that seems to come from the steering. More detail follows:First, when I pu… read more
Jay
Jay
Shop Forman / Lead Tech,
The steering wheel gets very tight when turning. The power
The steering wheel gets very tight when turning. The power steering fluid is full. … read more
JContin
JContin
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS. Right after I start it. When I
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS. Right after I start it. When I turn the wheel rt or left I here this grinding sound. My power steering fluid is full. I know without looking at it, hard to answer. Just curio… read more
Automotive Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Steering wheel mackes scdraping sound when turnning 2014 ls.
steering wheel mackes scdraping sound when turnning 2014 ls … read more
Chris
Chris
ml 320: The Benz suv is making a whining noise when you start
The Benz suv is making a whining noise when you start up the 2001 Ml Benz 320 and it does not stop. Also, I hear a power steering noise. How do I fix these issues?… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
2004 Lincoln LS: a sqeeking noise when you turn the steering wheel
I have a 2004 Lincoln LS which has a sqeeking noise when you turn the steering wheel. What is the problem?… read more
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
powersteering doesnt work...parking lot and it started making
I have a 2007 mazdaspeed 6. The powersteering doesn't work. I get no power assist. It used to work, then my wife was driving it in a parking lot and it started making alot of noise. Then when i checke… read more
Ironmike
Ironmike
ASE Master ,Ford Certified Master Tech,
Lincoln LS: 3.0 V6..car I hear water surging..temp gage reads normal
Lincoln LS 3.0 V6 2005 every now and then when I turn off the car I hear water surging through the motor for about a minute. The temp gage reads normal and not over heating. Is this normal ?… read more
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
LEAD AUTO TECH,
2000 lincoln ls: v..the air bag light blinks 3 times..steady
i have a 2000 lincoln ls v-8 . the air bag light blinks 3 times, then blinks 6 times. it does this several times and then comes on steady.… read more
JacobTD
JacobTD
Diagnose Specialist,
Master
my 2000 lincoln ls 3.9 make a noise at idle, its coming from
my 2000 lincoln ls 3.9 make a noise at idle, its coming from one of the pulleys. I took the belt off and the noise stopped. Iv replace the tensioner, water pump, and both idler pulleys. What can i do … read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
Saturn: squeaking..squealing noise..hand breaks on bike when I
Saturn SL 97making squeaking/squealing noise like putting hand breaks on bike when I was a kid. Started suddenly this week. Fluid full and clear. How to best tell if power steering belt proble or powe… read more
Lead Technician,
1997 Lincoln Town Car: Power steering is..noisy..turning right..topped
1997 Lincoln Town Car. Power steering is noisy, whines, particularly turning right. I changed and topped off the fluid, no change.… read more
John Hicks
John Hicks
Business Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
SE..grinding noise and and it becomes louder..steering pump
I have 2001 Landrover Discovery SE II. This morning when I started to drive I could feel my steering making a grinding noise and and it becomes louder when I make turns, could it be the steering pump … read more
Joe
Joe
Shop supervisor,
2004 Lincoln LS: a high pitched whine when accelerating
Just recently my 2004 Lincoln LS has started having a high pitched whine when accelerating. It sounds like it''s "winding up". There''s no loss of power that I can tell, but the noise is pretty load. … read more
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry
Auto Expert on Just Answer,
no steering, felt like the car had stalled..reving..engine lights
Just turned into my driveway all the sudden I had no steering, felt like the car had stalled when I turned the wheel. Noticed car still reving, no engine lights. Noticed a steel on steel creaking/sque… read more
Technician,
1998 continental: sebring..steering..the ignition switch..Whats
check seering assist warning light comes on on a 1998 continental, steering gets a little harder to operate. Turning the ignition switch off and on again remedies the problem sometimes. Whats the prob… read more
Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler
Business Owner/Law Student,
2001 lincoln ls: V..100k miles..There has started a high pitch whining
I have a 2001 LincolnLS V-8. Close to 100K miles. There has started a high pitch whining when it is in forward gear. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Do you have any clues. Fluid is fine. Optional In… read more
Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman
Ford Senior Master Technician retired,
2004 CHEVY MALIBU LS: THE POWER STERRING PUMP SO I..2004 Chevrolet
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE IS THE POWER STERRING PUMP SO I COULD CHECK THE FLUID ,THIS IS ON A 2004 CHEVY MALIBU LS 6 CYNLINDER? Optional Information: 2004 Chevrolet MALIBU LS 3.5LITER Already Tried: … read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,