Car

2004 6.0 diesel. Truck runs good until it reaches operating…

2004 6.0 diesel. Truck...

2004 6.0 diesel. Truck runs good until it reaches operating temp. When you try to accelerate the boost falls on its face and pure black smoke. Boost is fine under acceleration when not at operating temp though

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
... Read full answer

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Fuel filters have been changed and trans was replace few years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Ford?

F250 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its my sons truck, and I'm trouble shooting for him. A shop replaced all the injectors because he was getting white smoke. that solved that issue. He was showing no boost, traced that down to map sensor tube and replace it, now I can monitor boost. Thinking it could be leak on turbo piping or boots or maybe ebp sensor of plugged ebp tube

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should be it

7/13/2018
jc_davil
jc_davil, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there, if everything you mentioned above was checked (boots, ebp, etc.) I would be inclined towarda the vgt solenoid. It works with oil pressure and also have seals that might go bad. This is what directly controls the boost on these turbos. I hope this helps!
jc_davil
jc_davil, ASE Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2010 Ford flex ecoboost OK let it sit and run all
I have a 2010 Ford flex ecoboost OK let it sit and run all day without any smoke a real fine but once I go into drive seems like it wants to go with him it bogs out then every once in a while I can go… read more
Greg
Greg
Shop owner, technician,
2004 ram diesel truck.. 416000 miles. Replaced injectors
2004 ram diesel truck.. 416000 miles. Replaced injectors 5000 mile … read more
Technician,
2005 F-350 6.0 powerstroke, has a boost issue. Changed
2005 F-350 6.0 powerstroke, has a boost issue. Changed turbo, ebp sensor, map sensor, Ficm, pcm, updated Bullydog tuner. It will work good about half the time. Then when you have a big load and making… read more
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Stop searching for answers—
2007 F350 6.0 has almost no boost... or maybe none. manual
2007 F350 6.0 has almost no boost... or maybe none. manual tranny. cleaned turbo variable vanes. tried another MAP sensor. Shows 14psi on map idlling or shut off and goes up to 16 when the pedal is to… read more
jc_davil
jc_davil
ASE Certified Technician,
I have a 2010 Cummins that engine runs good but sometimes
I have a 2010 Cummins that engine runs good but sometimes makes no boost. Already replaced the turbo… read more
Engineer,
Morning on this 3500 HD I drove it got a code p0299 that a
Morning Michael on this 3500 HD I drove it got a code p0299 that a bad turbo please let me know thank u… read more
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
i have a 2005 ford f350 6.0 diesel just redone the heads and
i have a 2005 ford f350 6.0 diesel just redone the heads and turbo started it its running but the turbo will not kick in can anyone help… read more
Scott
Scott
Diesel, Automatic trans, full line tech,
F350 superduty diesel Ford: having exhaust problems building
having exhaust problems building up back pressure on a 2005 ford f350 diesel, scanned code PO466, 6.0L, makes my eyes burn… read more
Bamaman39
Bamaman39
Ford master diesel Tech.Ford certified,
freelander..2001 model..very sluggish to accelerate at starting off.
freelander td4 late 2001 model. very sluggish to accelerate at starting off. NO warhing lights showing . Diagnostic tests [dealer] show all readings normal. Intercooler checked for blockage hoes etc..… read more
IMPORTPRO
IMPORTPRO
8th grade
My 2002 Duramax (60,000 miles..pulling..smooth..goes away
I was driving my 2002 Duramax (60,000 miles) pulling a fifth wheel when I heard a loud pop and looked in my rear view mirror to see a lot of black smoke coming out the tail pipe. I pulled over with th… read more
the fixxer
the fixxer
ASE mechanic
I have a 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II and when I accelerate the
I have a 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II and when I accelerate the engine cuts out at 0 to 3 psi boost and then it runs fine after it starts building boost. Under a vacuum it runs fine also as long as you don… read more
JacobTD
JacobTD
Diagnose Specialist,
Master
My 1996 Cadillac Deville wont start on the 1st try, why?
I own a 1996 Cadillac Deville that when I turn the key to start the engine it takes 3 separate tries to finally turn on as if It's not getting enough gas the first 2 times. My mechanic is stuck!… read more
Robert
Robert
RV Tech Support,
Stop searching for answers—
A 2000 Bora 130 tdi with a problem that i cannot pinpoint..tackle
Hi there. i have a 2000 Bora 130 tdi with a problem that i cannot pinpoint. I am a body man who will tackle his own mechanicing but this one has me! On most short journeys the car is fine but on longe… read more
Max
Max
VW lead technician,
2004 ford f250: 000 miles..idles fine..the truck misses, smokes
My son has a 2004 ford f250 Diesel 6.0 with around 80,000 miles on it. The truck starts alright and idles fine but when he tries to speed up the truck misses, smokes and will not run right until it fi… read more
Automotive Fleet Management,
2004 Ford: turbo diesel..the fuel filter is clogged, will it..bearings
Re: 2004 Ford 6.0 liter turbo diesel: If the fuel filter is clogged, will it promote heat stress on bearings in the turbo and ultimately its failure? I have just experienced my second turbo replacemen… read more
Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman
Ford Senior Master Technician retired,
1989 ford f 250: engine starts..hoses..intake..the ecu temp sensor it
i have a 1989 ford f 250 5.8lieters when truck is cold engine will fire on all 8 but soon as it reaches operating temp the engine starts to miss on at least 4 checked all vacum hoses map sensor change… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
fuel pressure..factory)..runs good..entire exhaust from the down pipe
OK I checked the fuel pressure and it said that it was at 38-40 psi now I know that is a little low (and the trucks were all that way from the factory), but it reads that when it runs good or bad. I r… read more
GearHead1
GearHead1
Prototype technician,
1990 Honda Accord: 4cyl..o2 sensor..map sensor..car ran fine
My son has a 1990 Honda Accord that he had a 1995 2.2 4cyl VTech put in. When the change was made, there was no hole to put an o2 sensor so he was going to put headers on later and that would give him… read more
runnin12s
runnin12s
Master Technician,