Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I jump started the engine with the boost selection on my…

Hello, i jump started...

Hello, i jump started the engine with the boost selection on my charger. i let it run for a few minutes on boost and then it shut down. i think i damaged something in the ignition system as i have no spark, well i turn it over and the coil sparks once when we first turn the key and not again. did leaving the booster on burn something in the ignition system an what would that be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Please read my message before asking me any questions. we are beyond that

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

1995 940.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 940 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i pulled the spark plug lead and checked for spark and it fires once and that is it. i think i burned something on the ignition system by jumping it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you let me know
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it looks like i have a bosch system; it has a traditional coil.
7/7/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

You should have taken the battery charger off, or turned it off right after the engine started. If the alternator was working, it would have supplied the voltage for everything after it started.

Can you tell me if you have (12 volts) battery voltage at the blue/red wire of the ignition coil when the key is on run/engine off and also while cranking the starter over, so with the key on start as well?

If only hot for a second or two, check the voltage in and out of the ignition switch. I have included wiring diagrams, the ignition switch is fed from 1 red wires right from the battery and that blue/red wire coming out to the coil. If you have voltage in but not out of that switch, replace it.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.
Just because you became a member doesn't mean you don't still have to rate the expert when done so he gets credit for his time.

Diagrams

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well, ok, i have to leave now. i may get back to this tomorrow evening. i will do what you are asking. i realize i should have disconnected the booster (300 amp) and no the alternator was not working but the battery would have carried it once it was running. i just did an engine swap and it was running for a few minutes before it crapped so i think the boost burned something. i am leaning to the ignition control module but i spoke to a genuine true to goodness mechanic (supervisor of the NYC Police Repair garage) and he told me the protocol is to not assume it is the module but to check the crank positioner and everythiing else first. he is not a volvo man so i will do what you say and get back. btw, when my wife keyed it over, it did spark with a plug in the lead (once) and not again so i do not thing i toasted the coil.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i just got another message that for 26 i can call you or you can call me. if you can get me through this that is more than worth it so let us resume tomorrow afternoon. i have family stuff now. thank you.

300 amp, wow, that is alot and probably way too much.

No the battery would not have covered it once it was running, at least not for too long before the battery went dead.

Ok, tomorrow it is.

Any news?

Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, i was not home until late last night. i am here now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, is are you there? it says you can not call
Daniel, Manager
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have solved the problem. the igniter. car is all fixed. if i can get out of the $26.00 i will if not, i do not care.

Thanks