Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1981 GM crank no start. They do but not full charged.

1981 GM crank no...

1981 GM crank no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

They do but not full charged

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '81 GM?

Cutlass supreme

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cutlass Supreme yourself? What have you tried so far?

It’s a no pulse from distributor issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No comm to ECM

7/7/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Do you mean you have no spark??

the module in th distributor is a common failure for these. also, there is a distributor pick up coil in there as well. if that is open, it will not allow spark.

When I was working on these back in the day, I replaced both the module and the pick up coil together.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if I hav spark but it cranks fine until I have to recharge (jump) battery
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t call from this device

ok, how do you know it has no pulse from the distributor??

does the check engine light come on with the key on??

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but code reads 12 when I use paperclip to read.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Using paper clip 12 trouble code comes up

thats normal when the engine is off. it just means it sees no rpm because the engine is not running.

that is only a fault code when the engine is running.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh,my mistake. I thought I was on to something. In that case I’m not sure but yes service light works
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My throttle position sensor is only reading 1 hot and 1 ground on a 4 wire connector FYI

you need to verify spark at the plugs.

make sure the cap and rotor are in good condition as well.

see if there is fuel in the carb when you push down the gas pedal as well.

what voltage??? it is a sensor and should have 5 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, when checking for ground, they all light but only 1 hot

all light?? what does that mean??

1 hot???

does not make any sense

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Using test light I get green light on all 4 wires but switching to check for power I only get 1 red power light feed.

did you apply any voltage to any of the wires with your power probe??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not 100% sure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t think so

if you did, you fried the ecm. you cannot apply 12 volts to a 5 volt circuit. it fries the ecm circuits internally.

if the tps was an issue, you would have had a code, which you did not.

you need to use just a voltmeter for those tests.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was afraid of using VM for that reason. Test light and power probe are same? I wasn’t aware of that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I determine if ECM fried?

volt meter is the only equipment to use.

a test light is good for testing fuses.

power probe is for applying voltage to a component for testing.

at this point you need to start by checking for spark which I think is your issue. once that is resolved then you can check to see if there is information coming from the ecm.

did you use a test light or power probe??

Roy

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
TPS wasn’t the issue.not sure what issue was besides crank no start symptoms I removed battery and covered electrical with plastic so I thought and degraded engine with pressure washer before symptoms accrued

remove the distributor cap and see if it is wet inside. you may have got water in the cap.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t hv power probe. I used test light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it’s dry and wires are intact

ok, good. power probes can damage computer systems

inside the cap??? did you remove it???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed cap to inspect coil yes

no, not the top part. the 4 screws that hold the hole cap on the distributor. remove them and lift up the cap to see if the rotor is wet and the inside terminals of the cap

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, ECM fuse test good
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, will do but I secured it pretty well prior to pressure washing.

ok, sounds good

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better so the site will pay me for my efforts. You can always ask follow up questions.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you call a bit later? I need to set up ligh

I will be back on in about 1 hour or so.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so how do I find you or will u contact me?

I can send you a premium service request and call you later.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Resend request in a hr and we can go from there. Thank you

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I never heard back from you Roy

sorry, was traveling.

just got home

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's coo but I won't be home for 30 min if your still interested in walking me through by phone.

sure

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Roy are You available?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure how to test for spark with complete conference.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cutlass supreme 260 4.3 V8
eric remington

H​ello, I have repaired over 30000 vehicles in my career and I need to ask you questions since I am not there in person to gather facts, data, or to test your vehicle. I may ask you to perform testing in my stead. If testing is needed and you would rather not perform testing, I can give my best advice.

eric remington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’d hate to have you on the phone so long if I need to first test for spark. Are you aware of my problem? I’m just getting setup to start working on it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was under the impression that ysomeone was going to contact me. Was I incorrect I know a payment was maid for the service.

Im ease coast////what time is a good time for me to call....I must have fallen asleep

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10am your time. Im Pacific time and am currently sleeping. Ty for responding, (big relief) 7:00 am Pacific or sometime after sunrise. Thanks again! Hope to hear from you then.

I promise

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I missed you, your call actually woke me. If you can give me 20 min to get up and out to driveway. Great to hear you have experience with this era car. Ty much
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I missed you, your call actually woke me. If you can give me 20 min to get up and out to driveway. Great to hear you have experience with this era car. Ty much. Oh I tried calling back but VM came on and your mailbox is full. In case you weren't aware.

Ok let me know