Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Getting sqealling noise from engine compartment, more

Getting sqealling noise from...

Getting sqealling noise from engine compartment, more noticable at idle, charging at 16v intermittantly. but the first symptom was that the a/c would kick off. would come back after a minute by cycling the a/c switch. never noticed the sqealling til today.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

2.4i 110,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

07 s40.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Touched nothing so far, vehicle still original as far as that goes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The a/c issue happened first, with a queer burning smell, then the smell went away, but the a/c cutting out issue remained, and now the swealling noise. voltage at battery changes after cycling the engine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Hi there! My name is Mike. The site will be promoting a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

This actually sounds like you have an issue with your a/c compressor trying to freeze up or to much freon in the system. Either will cause the belt to slip which is the noise and also why the air con stops working. You should have this tested fairly fast and if you don't have any issue at all with the air off, then I know it's the compressor causing this. I would check the freon level and if it's good, have the compressor and belt replaced.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help and earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and membership questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
110,000

Can you see my reply?

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
car is original, a/c has never been opened

Ok, I am really thinking your A/C compressor is getting ready to stop working.

Especially if you don't have any problem with the a/c off. It points right to it.

Thank you for the rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still sqeals with a/c off

I still think you are heading for that issue to be honest.

I have to step away for a bit, I will respond as soon as I am back if you have more questions.