Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

How do you remove the steering column on a 2014 equinox?

How do you remove...

How do you remove the steering column on a 2014 equinox ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Fluids are fine I need to remove the column

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

What do I need to do I have the undercover off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to put in a new dash

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/5/2018
Anthony P.
Anthony P., Auto Mechanic

Hi and is this a 4cyl or a v6 ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 cyl
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would you be able to call me at 1:15 pm Cst
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still with me

No need for a call

im getting you info now

Anthony P.
Anthony P., Auto Mechanic
Phone call session started

Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.

Remove the steering column shroud. Refer to Steering Column Shroud Replacement.

With the front wheels in the straight ahead position, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.

Rotate the steering wheel in order to lock the steering column.

Remove the left instrument panel insulator panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (Equinox)Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (Terrain).

Remove the driver knee bolster reinforcement. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Reinforcement Replacement (Equinox)Driver Knee Bolster Reinforcement Replacement (Terrain).

Disconnect all electrical connectors, after you did that you will remove the bolt attaching the lower column shaft to the rack. remove 4 bolts holding column assy to the front i beam

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am back in the shop

Ok did you see everything i sent you ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was out to lunch and I couldn't see your information
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you call me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you resend me the instructions I didn't get to them in time to look at them and they were terminated
Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.Remove the steering column shroud. Refer to Steering Column Shroud Replacement.With the front wheels in the straight ahead position, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.Rotate the steering wheel in order to lock the steering column.Remove the left instrument panel insulator panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (Equinox)Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (Terrain).Remove the driver knee bolster reinforcement. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Reinforcement Replacement (Equinox)Driver Knee Bolster Reinforcement Replacement (Terrain).5 Jul 2018, 12:35 PMMeDisconnect all electrical connectors, after you did that you will remove the bolt attaching the lower column shaft to the rack. remove 4 bolts holding column assy to the front i beam
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't open the Refer to Steering Shroud Replacement can you resend

1

Steering Column Upper Shroud

Procedure

Disconnect the upper shroud from the steering column seal.

2

Steering Column Lower Trim Cover Fastener (Qty:  3)

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Procedure

Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

Turn the steering wheel in order to access the fasteners.

Snap the upper shroud, the lower left shroud, and the lower right shroud together before installing the fasteners.

Tighten :

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anthony, I got the column out and all the screws that hold the dash in place and the center console looks like it needs to come back about 4 inches to get the dash panel out of the console pins. what is the procedure for the console
Ok I’m home already from work. I can get you the procedure in the morning if that’s ok. I can’t log in to GM sites on a non authorized IP address
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What time in the morning?
I’m in at 615 am eastern. I thought you only needed the column removal procedure. Didn’t know you needed center console too
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't know that I would have to move the console back but it has to go back about 4 inches so the dash can be free of the console pins. And Ineed to pull the steering wheel also. I work at a body shop and don't normally do this but we are on this job
Ah ok so you wheel removal too ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if you could get me that information as well, thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the steering wheel off
http://www.havis.com/data/1-Mounting/Consoles/C-VS%20Series/C-VS-1400-EQX-1/C-VS-1400-EQX-1_INST_6-14.pdf
Here’s a walk through
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anthony , the Havis data is not the right data to get the upper front of console off to replace the dash pad

Ok you said center console not dash console. give me a minute

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to replace the upper and lower dash panels
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it looks like the upper lighter piece comes off the piece below it is accully the piece that needs to come lose to replace the lower dash panel . The trim around the shifting lever and cup holder.

Ok then that is what i sent you.

If you are asking about the lower pocket assy thats parts of the dash assy and does not come off

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What you sent me was something to do with the back part of the center console ,cutting down into the console and removing the rear part of it and adding a different electrical panel of some kind it had nothing to do with the removal of the trim around the shifter and cup holder and panel right below it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe I should ask for the data to remove the upper dash panel and the dash panel that it fastens to the lower, the upper has the passenger air bag in it and the lower has the glove box the radio the instrument cluster in it

Ok well this question was originally for a column removal, not an entire dashboard,center console etc etc. I will opt out and let someone else send pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just how does the bezel come off . The picture shows it goes straight up , what do you have to do to get it up, I don't want to brake any pieces,

You just pull it off gently with a plastic pry tool