Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 1985 Chrysler New Yorker with 2.6L 4 cal engine and A-470…

My 1985 Chrysler New...

My 1985 Chrysler New Yorker with 2.6L 4 cal engine and A-470 trans is stripping the speedo drive pinion.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

150000 miles. It is a 3 speed auto. it has had new half shafts installed. I now find that the nylon speedo pinion has been stripped of its teeth twice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your New Yorker yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am investigation the problem before I attempt to fix it. I have removed the speedo pinion and adapter housing and find that I am able to move the inner part of the shaft from the trans housing. I am frightened to install a new nylon gear as they are no longer available.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

7/5/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

the reason they strip is the inner joint on the shaft is moving up and down putting all kinds of stress on the gear. there is a support bushing in the output housing that is worn out and needs to be replaced to keep the shaft stable.

Roy

do you have any other questions??

any update?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question at this stage. Is there an circles or retaining ring to hold the splined inner shaft ro the trans?

on the inner joint, yes. there is a snap ring that locks the axle into the final drive. that prevents in and out movement, not up and down movement

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have removed the right side shaft and there is no groove near the end of the shaft on the splines to accept a circle or spring wire retainer? I have found diagrams that show circles inside the diff crown wheel annulus and others that show no circle or groove to accept one?

yes that is correct. it depends on the transmission.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better so the site will pay me for my efforts. You can always ask follow up questions.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

thank you