Car

Car wouldn't start so we jump started it but after the car…

Car wouldn't start so...

Car wouldn't start so we jump started it but after the car turned on it smelled really bad like gas or something. Boyfriend doesnt want to drive the car cause hes afraid hes going to blow the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as... Read full answer

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

What do you mean

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

I mean it's not any more of a gas hog then when we bought it. Looks like there might be oil leaking out. We had to jump start it so no

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2001 Jaguar XKR

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XKR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it. Just trying to see if I am able to drive the car even though it has the gas smell

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/2/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Hi there! My name is Mike. The site will be promoting a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Do you see any gas leaking under the car or under the hood?

Plus, are you wanting to drive it to get it repaired or just drive it?

Looks like something is leaking but we think its oil. Just trying to drive it to work that way we can make enough money to fix it. Plus the street we live on we have to move the car every 90 minutes or it gets a ticket/towed

Ok, if it's leaking oil, then it's ok to drive it, just keep an eye on the oil level.

It sounds like yo might need a new battery. Most parts stores will check the old battery for free for you. So if you get it running I would take it to have it tested.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help and earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and membership questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Gas smell outside of car and when I put on the heater.
Gas smell outside of car and when I put on the heater. Itusually happens when parked overnight of standing for a period of time. O rings have bee changed and no leaks … read more
Danny
Danny
Owner, lead mechanic,
Turns over but does not start, i'm thinking fuel filter. not
Turns over but does not start, i'm thinking fuel filter. not totally sure though … read more
Edward
Edward
Professional at Justanswer.com,
I read your article I have the 5 litre Jaguar XKR and have
Customer: Hi Richard, I read your article http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/75xez-jaguar-xkr-minor-oil-leak-my2009-jaguar-xkr.html#re.v/462/ I have the 5 litre Jaguar XKR and have had a report about an… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
automatic..overheating..timing belt and water pump replaced..gets hot
I have a 2001 automatic 1.6 Daewoo lanos which is overheating. I have recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced. The car gets hot after driving about 15 miles and the water loss is about 3 … read more
Greg
Greg
Shop owner, technician,
1997 chevy malibu: 3 weeks ago when I went to start my car..V6 engine
Hi I'm sorry I'm having to ask this online but with what's going on with my car I'm afraid to drive it in to a shop to get an estimate. It started 3 weeks ago when I went to start my car. It's a 1997 … read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
2008 Subaru Forester: its been a wonderful car, except for today
i have a 2008 Subaru Forester. i have owned it for about 18 months. it's been a wonderful car, except for today. There are 2 things that are really obviously wrong: 1) the car won't start. Initially i… read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
Auto Service Technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
96 olds aurora: wont start..no clicking noises at all it..started fine
My 96 olds aurora wont start it makes no clicking noises at all it has all lights all power It started fine when we bought it yesterday but not now...?… read more
Pragueress
Pragueress
really rough..check engine light came on immediately after...exhaust
My car just started driving really rough on my drive home. The check engine light came on immediately after. When I got home there was an exhaust like odor coming from the car. Any thoughts as to what… read more
mobile mechanic ,
97 Dodge Intrepid: ran fine..about two gallons of gas..heater core
I have a 97 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 Bought Friday night ran fine. Saturday morning the car stalled but started right back up, there was about two gallons of gas in the car, I filled it up. Saturday afterno… read more
ase_master327
ase_master327
Owner & Student,
2001 Jaguar S-type: fuel pump replaced..it up with gas, I smelled gas
I recently had to have the fuel pump replaced on my 2001 Jaguar S-type. After it was replaced, the first time I filled it up with gas, I smelled gas and brought it back. They said it hadn''t sealed ri… read more
Shawn
Shawn
Lead Diagnostics Tech,
Audi a4: turbo..timing belt..the oil fill cap when the engine..hole
my audi a4 1999 doesnt have the turbo power it used to have. The timing belt was replace two years ago and hasnt been the same since then. When i take off the oil fill cap when the engine is running y… read more
74duster
74duster
2001 MPV Lx: the fuel filter..rpms..cruise control..blow
I took my 2001 MPV Lx to have the oil changed and had the fuel filter replaced too (115,000 miles on it). On my way home, the idle speed suddenly jumped to over 600 rpms and the car feels like it's pe… read more
orlan34
orlan34
Stop searching for answers—
laser: turbo..awd..timing belt..new engine has less then 50k miles
My boyfriend owns a 1993 Plymouth laser turbo-charged awd. 4 years ago the timing belt went and he replaced the engine. The new engine has less then 50k miles on it. Last week he was driving it and it… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
96 Chrysler LHS: wouldnt start..degrees..doesnt start..the gas lines
I own a 96 Chrysler LHS, It wouldn't start yesterday morning I assumed because it was cold 0 degrees, So I went and bought some Iso Heat two bottles and put both in and also added $6.00 more in gas an… read more
joseph carrillo
joseph carrillo
automotive drivability tech,
1991 caddy brough small v-8..oil in the air filter..blow..car runs
I have a 1991 Caddy Brough small v-8 I was told there is oil in the air filter and this is a sign the engine will start smoking and blow. The car runs smooth and fine with 160000 miles on it… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
88 vw scirocco: But, this one has him and others stumped.
My boyfriend has an 88 vw scirrocco. He's good with the knows of repairs on the vehicle. But, this one has him and others stumped. He replaced the head, new gaskets, bolts, etc. the whole nine yards. … read more
marc C
marc C
Mechanic,
1997 chevy lumina: oil change..having problems with it overheating.
my boyfriend has a 1997 chevy lumina. It hasn't had an oil change for about a year. He has been having problems with it overheating. Yesterday, his car was overheating and blowing cold air. He took it… read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,
2000 Mitsubishi eclipse rs: shake..gasoline..stop light..4 valves
I took my car to get a change of oil...5 minutes after i picked up the car....it started to shake..and the lights were changing in intensity....a lot but i mean a lot of smoke started to come out of t… read more
Bill W.
Bill W.
Auto Tecnician,