Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I'm working on a 2003 BMW 325xi. It started setting codes…

Good evening: I'm working on...
Good evening: I'm working on a 2003 BMW 325xi. It started setting codes for too lean banks 1 & 2 so I did a smoke test and found a cracked intake hose as well as a cracked valve cover and leaking brake booster vacuum hose. These were all replaced and it then started setting codes for too rich bank 1 & 2 as well as Idle air valve stuck open, TPS - MAF not plausable and Lambda control tolerance Bank 1 & 2
I replaced the idle air valve, the MAF sensor as well as the Throttle body (TPS) and both upstream O2 sensors. The DISA valve is intact and holds vacuum. I also did a throttle body adaptation reset.
It ran fine for about 50 miles and then set codes for too rich Bank 1 & 2 again. None of the other codes have come back.
I ran live data and its showing STFT at idle of +10 on both banks dropping to -8% at 2500 rpm no load.
The LTFT on both banks is showing -8.3%.
TPS percentage at idle is 0% and doesn't increase until 2500 - 3000 RPM.
My question tonight is what the normal TPS % reading should be at idle. I have a BMW X3 and it shows 17% at idle.
If 0% is abnormal could this be caused by a bad throttle pedal ?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm wondering when I can expect a reply, I paid extra for a PRIORITY response
Answered in 1 day by:
6/1/2018
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Walter, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still need assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you!
Walt~Moderator
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
This is the second time I've tried your service. I cancelled the first time because the "Expert" wasn't replying to my question, this time isn't appearing to be any better. If you can get my question answered in the next hour I'll continue but otherwise will be cancelling once and for all.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
PS Don't connect with "Danny"
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks
eric remington

Hello D​o me a favor record any codes clear them and test drive. give me readings of accelerator pedal position and throttle position sensors on scanner' at idle at 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm

A​lso, let me have Vin number please

a​fter testing the sensors, give Me any codes that appear please. Are you a mechanic at a shop or are you working on own car?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi Eric: The VIN is PH89974. I'm a mechanic working on my son's car in my own shop.
The car is in for detailing today so I won't be able to do any testing until tonight or tomorrow morning.
After clearing the codes last time the only ones that reset were the too rich bank 1 & 2 and Lambda control tolerance Bank 1 & 2. The throttle position sensors read 0% at idle, 0% at 1500 RPM and 8% at 2500 RPM.
The throttle response when driving seems normal with no dead spots and trans kick down works normally. As I said above the MAF sensor, throttle body (with TPS), and idle air valve have all been replaced. I have a 2016 BMW X3 as well and it reads 17% on the TPS at idle which is why I'm wondering what a "normal" reading should be! I'd appreciate your thoughts for now and I'll do some more testing when I get the car back.
Thanks Cliff

OK let me look at any tsb s... pcm or wiring. Let me have vin so I can check repair info

17 number vin

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK will do.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
VIN is WBAEU334X3PH89974

Ok I have some testing for you to perform

The throttle system works with pcm and the testing for the accelerator position sensor throttle motor and tps I have included. Let me know how these go and we can do code specific testing as well. So if you have codes Let me know, and I can get those tests. Either we have a bad sensor s or wiring or and pcm

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks, I'll follow up as soon as I get the vehicle back and let you know what I find

Sure looking forward to it when you can

Do you still need help? If not PLEASE RATE MY SERVICE otherwise I DO NOT GET PAID...THANK YOU...IF YOU STILL NEED HELP LET ME KNOW

eric remington