Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

A car question: I have a few minor scratches on my car.

Customer Question
A car question:I have a...
A car question:I have a few minor scratches on my car. What’s is the easiest way to remove them? I found “Turtle Wax 50734 Complete 6-Piece Compound, Polishing & Scratch Kit” on Amazon. Would it help?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Car
5/28/2018
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Yes the kit is what you need. With scratch removal you making smaller and smaller scratches to replace the big one. Eventually it is polishing the finish.

Is the scratch through the clear coat or just light?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It’s through the clear coat.

Then the area will need to be repainted. You can lessen the scratch but once it goes through the clear then color and clear are required to replace the missing material.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Would these touch paint bottles in auto stores work? Or would the touch pen work better?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I mean “touch-up”
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 17 days ago

Nothing is going to be invisible. You can get touch up paint from the dealer that matches your paint exactly but if you don't sand before and after it will look like a scratch was filled. Once the repair is made it has to clearcoated.

Do you have a picture of the scratch? can you post it here?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thx. I’m traveling and will send the picture on Sun.

OK, I am doing the same and will watch Sunday for your post.

Thanks

Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 14 days ago

I am not sure what I am looking at there. Can you take one further back pointing at the scratches and one extreme closeup of the worst one so I can see the depth?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Pls expand the pic, then you’ll see 4 vertical lines of scratch.
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 13 days ago

I see the scratches but cannot tell where they are or the depth of them. Can you provide pictures?

From this picture I would not attempt a repair yourself. It will not look good. If it is through the color into the primer which is what I think I can see then it has to be sanded down, primed, sanded, color coated, sanded to blend then clear coated and sanded to blend. If you tried touch up paint it would not match and would look like someone used nail polish to cover it up.