Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2001 tiburon that I recently purchased from someone…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2001 tiburon that I recently purchased from someone that said it had been sitting for 8 months. It looks like the shift interlock device next to the shifter has been used, and the shifting feels loose. Also, I hear a grinding and popping sound coming from the front and rear wheels when I turn. My dad said he thinks it is the transaxle.Can this be related to the shift interlock device?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes, it is perfect level

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tiburon yourself? What have you tried so far?

It runs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am just worried about that interlocking device. And if it could be related to problems with the transaxle

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car
I should add that I took it to o'reilly's so they could check for codes and the only one that popped up was for suspension.
Could the shift interlock be bypassed (before I bought it) and if it was, could it cause this suspension code? Can this shift interlock be messing with my transaxle?
I think the person who previously owned it completely disabled the shift interlock. Is this possible? It looks as though the center part where the shifter was was taken apart and put back together again. Could they have completely bypassed the solenoid and/or removed it? And if this is even possible, what are the long term effects? How do I go about figuring out what is there?
5/28/2018
Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the shifter feels loose you most likely need a shifter or a shift cable. Physical inspection will be required to determine what part is worn and determine what needs to be replaced.

If the interlock override was permanently engaged or the interlock was damaged then the shifter would come out of park without having the key on and brake pressed.

It's possible that the noise is coming from the transmission and it would require in person diagnostics to determine where exactly it's coming from, if you hear a cyclic clicking noise when turning it's more likely to be a bad CV shaft.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.