Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2008 Lexus LS600 hl. Can you please send me the…

Hi! I have...

Hi! I have a 2008 Lexus LS600 hl. Can you please send me the directions to remove and how to test the rear trunk release switch. Also, can you please send me the directions on how to change the spark plugs on this car. Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Lexus. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No thank you

5/27/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

I can supply you with this info , but will have to wait till Monday as I have to access this at work from our shop manuals.

Sounds good - thank you!

One question, which switch you referring to, in cabin or at the back door?

It is the switch that is hand activated that opens the trunk, not the switch that closes the trunk - at the trunk, not in the cabin. I can send a picture if that would be helpful. Thanks!
It is the switch between the two reverse lights at the trunk.

yes send the pic but I think I know what your talking about

In the mean time while you wait for the info Monday here is something you may be interested in as well.

If you are not able to open your trunk in the usual manner, by using the remote key or dash button or the button on the trunk lid, here is a way that will work, even if your trunk is jammed or the car battery is dead.

This does not depend on any of the car’s electronics. This procedure does not care if the car battery is dead or the remote-key battery is dead. It is a pure mechanical operation that uses the mechanical key and the mechanical latch that is in the trunk lid.

If you have ideas of reaching through the trunk extension door in the back seat, to the emergency release lever in the trunk, forget about that. The required reach to do that trick is 54” so just measure your arm and if it is too short (it will be), then move on to what follows.
The remote key (or electronic key) has a mechanical key stored in it. You need to remove the mechanical key from the electronic key. Insert the mechanical key into the slot on the trunk lid Operate the mechanical key and the trunk lid should pop up. To operate the key it must be turned about 35 degrees clockwise. The key may need to be operated forcefully so if you don’t have the hand strength to turn it then you will have to find someone with good hand strength to help you. A tool should not be used to turn the key as that might bend it or break it. If you are unable to operate the key then you will need to apply some downward pressure to the trunk lid while you operate the key. The downward pressure required may be something like someone pushing down on the ridge on top of the trunk over the license plate with their full body weight while someone else turns the key. The downward pressure will very likely allow the key to be operated.

If the trunk doesn’t open when the key is turned then something, like a luggage strap, has probably been forced into the latch mechanism. The way to overcome this is to hold the key fully operated while someone lifts the trunk lid by grasping the lip over the license plate and pulling up.

I am confident that this will get you into the trunk without using a “Tire-tool Key” or making a trip to a Lexus dealership.

6d1d9271-38f6-4ac7-a9e2-...jpg6d1d927...jpg0f55bd0e-232f-4ed2-a89d-...jpg0f55bd0...jpga95a0d0e-a8c6-43d1-b144-...jpga95a0d0...jpg3de04084-f266-4694-b9c1-...jpg3de0408...jpg3ef09412-8a39-434c-810f-...jpg3ef0941...jpg8aa242f9-af11-4795-be47-...jpg8aa242f...jpg
Hi! Thank you for the information on the using the key from the fob to open the trunk with a dead battery, etc. Can you please let me know when you will be able to send the information regarding the manual switch for opening the trunk and also for changing the spark plugs. Thanks!!

I can do that latter to day.

You might want to re think doing your own spark plugs as they are a royal pain., but here is the procedure.

1. REMOVE LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT MAT SUB-ASSEMBLY

2. REMOVE BATTERY SERVICE HOLE COVER LH

3. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL

CAUTION:

Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.

NOTICE:

• When disconnecting the cable, some systems need to be initialized after the cable is reconnected .
  • After the power switch is turned OFF, the HDD navigation system requires approximately 6 minutes to record various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the power switch OFF, wait 6 minutes or more before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal.

4. REMOVE SERVICE PLUG GRIP

5. REMOVE V-BANK COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY

6. REMOVE AIR CLEANER INLET COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY

7. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER RH

8. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER LH

9. REMOVE NO. 1 AIR CLEANER INLET

10. REMOVE INTAKE AIR CONNECTOR PIPE

11. REMOVE AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY LH

12. REMOVE AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY RH

13. REMOVE COWL TOP VENTILATOR LOUVER RH

14. REMOVE MOTOR CABLE COVER RH

15. REMOVE INVERTER COVER ASSEMBLY

16. REMOVE CONNECTOR COVER ASSEMBLY

17. CHECK TERMINAL VOLTAGE

18. INSTALL CONNECTOR COVER ASSEMBLY

19. REMOVE INVERTER TERMINAL COVER

20. DISCONNECT MOTOR CABLE

21. DISCONNECT GENERATOR CABLE

22. DISCONNECT INLET INVERTER COOLING PIPE

(a) Remove the 2 bolts and disconnect the inlet inverter cooling pipe.

23. DISCONNECT FRAME WIRE

(a) Remove the No. 1 relay block cover.

(b) Remove the 2 nuts from the No. 1 relay block.

(c) Detach the 2 claws to disconnect the frame wire from the No. 1 relay block.

24. DISCONNECT NO. 1 MOTOR COOLING PIPE

25. REMOVE SKID CONTROL ECU

26. DISCONNECT NO. 3 RELAY BLOCK

27. DISCONNECT BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR

28. REMOVE SKID CONTROL ECU BRACKET

29. REMOVE ENGINE OIL LEVEL DIPSTICK GUIDE

30. REMOVE ENGINE COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY RH

31. REMOVE NO. 5 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY

32. REMOVE ENGINE COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY LH

33. REMOVE NO. 6 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY

34. REMOVE IGNITION COIL ASSEMBLY

(a) Disconnect the 8 ignition coil connectors.

(b) Remove the 8 bolts.

(c) Using a screwdriver, pry at the cutouts to remove the 8 ignition coils together with the 8 spark plug tube gaskets.

NOTICE:

Do not damage the cylinder head cover when removing the spark plug tube gasket.

HINT:

Tape the screwdriver tip before use.

35. REMOVE SPARK PLUG

(a) Using a 16 mm plug wrench, remove the 8 spark plugs. One tip on the ones close to the body, when palatially out you will have to pry out the seal so it can come out all the way.

2a18a5ae-e085-4e59-b775-...png2a18a5a...png1e4ed554-6ff9-4e8e-8675-...png1e4ed55...pngf80c4157-81ec-47ac-9205-...pngf80c415...png64ff9902-5c5e-4297-8ba1-...png64ff990...png0222f1a5-5b89-4d5f-8da0-...png0222f1a...png

OPERATION CHECK

1. CHECK LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR OPENING OPERATION

(a) Check luggage electrical key switch:

(1) When the luggage electrical key switch is pressed, check that the luggage latch opens and the luggage compartment door opens.

(2) When all the doors are unlocked, check that the luggage compartment door opens when the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly is not being carried and the luggage electrical key switch is pressed.

NOTICE:

This function operates when "Trunk Link with Door Lock" in the Techstream customization settings is set to "ON". This setting is "ON" by default .

(b) Check luggage door opening switch assembly:

(1) When the luggage door opening switch assembly is pressed, check that the luggage latch opens and the luggage compartment door opens.

(c) Check electrical key transmitter sub-assembly:

(1) When the key's luggage compartment door opener switch is pressed for 1 second or more, check that the luggage latch opens and the luggage compartment door opens.

(d) luggage compartment door opener cancel switch:

(1) While the luggage compartment door opener cancel switch is ON, check that the luggage compartment door does not open when the luggage compartment door opener switch is pressed.

2. CHECK LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR CLOSER OPERATION

(a) Check luggage compartment door closer switch:

(1) When the luggage compartment door closer switch is pressed, check that the luggage door closer operates and the luggage compartment door closes.

3. CHECK JAM PROTECTION FUNCTION

HINT:

During the power trunk lid operation, if the luggage compartment door opening or closing speed changes, the luggage closer motor determines there is a foreign object, and cancels the power trunk lid operation. If this occurs during the opening operation, operation is stopped. If during the closing operation, operation is reversed.

(a) Check the jam protection function while the Luggage closer motor assembly is closing.

CAUTION:

Do not check this function using a part of your body such as a hand. Also, pay thorough attention that nothing gets caught in the door by accident in this process.

(1) Fully open the luggage compartment door.

(2) Place a tire or equivalent between the luggage compartment door and vehicle, and operate the luggage closer motor assembly.

(3) Check that the jam protection function is immediately activated and the luggage closer motor assembly reverses operation to the fully open position.

(b) Check the jam protection function while the luggage closer motor assembly is opening.

CAUTION:

Pay thorough attention that your body or your clothes, etc. do not get caught in the door by accident in this process.

(1) Fully close the luggage compartment door.

(2) Press the opener switch to open the luggage compartment door.

(3) During the opening operation, place a hand on the luggage compartment door to reduce the luggage compartment door opening speed.

(4) Check that the luggage compartment door stops.

4. CHECK WARNING BUZZER

(a) Check the warning buzzer sounding function.

(1) When the luggage compartment door closer switch is pressed, check that the warning buzzer sounds 2 times at 0.8 second intervals.

CUSTOMIZE PARAMETERS

1. CUSTOMIZE POWER TRUNK LID SYSTEM

HINT:

The following item can be customized.

NOTICE:

• When the customer requests a change in a function, first make sure that the function can be customized.
  • Make a note of the current settings before customizing.
  • When troubleshooting a function, first make sure that the function is set to the default setting.

(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(b) Turn the power switch on (IG).

(c) Turn the Techstream on.

(d) Enter the following menus: Customize Setting.

(e) Select the setting by referring to the table below:

INITIALIZATION

1. RESET METHOD

NOTICE:

Perform initialization of the power trunk lid system (power trunk lid control ECU initialization) if one of the following is performed: 1) The negative (-) auxiliary battery cable is disconnected; 2) a wire harness, the luggage closer motor assembly (power trunk lid control ECU) or luggage door closer assembly is replaced or removed/installed; or 3) the RR MPX-B 1 fuse is replaced or removed/installed. If initialization is not performed, the power trunk lid system will not operate.

(a) Completely close the luggage compartment door by hand once.

HINT:

It is not necessary to perform initialization if the negative (-) auxiliary battery cable is disconnected while the luggage compartment door is closed.

2. CHECK POWER TRUNK LID FUNCTION

HINT:

• Proceed to Operation Check .
  • If the power trunk lid system does not operate and/or the luggage compartment door does not open, disconnect the negative (-) auxiliary battery cable. Then wait 10 seconds, reconnect the cable and perform initialization of the power trunk lid system again.

PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE

HINT:

Use the table below to help determine the cause of the problem symptom. The potential causes of the symptoms are listed in order of probability in the "Suspected Area" column of the table. Check each symptom by checking the suspected areas in the order they are listed. Replace parts as necessary.

Power Trunk Lid System

Symptom

Suspected Area

See page

Power trunk lid does not operate

Luggage door opening switch assembly

Harness or connector

Luggage compartment door opener cancel switch

Main body ECU (driver side junction block)

Luggage compartment door closer switch

Luggage electrical key switch

Luggage closer motor assembly

Luggage compartment door closer does not operate

Luggage compartment door key cylinder

Harness or connector

Luggage room junction block assembly (rear junction block ECU)

Luggage electrical key switch

Luggage closer motor assembly

Fuse (PTL)

Luggage door closer assembly

DATA LIST / ACTIVE TEST

1. DATA LIST

HINT:

Using the Techstream to read the Data List allows the values or states of switches, sensors, actuators and other items to be read without removing any parts. This non-intrusive inspection can be very useful because intermittent conditions or signals may be discovered before parts or wiring is disturbed. Reading the Data List information early in troubleshooting is one way to save diagnostic time.

NOTICE:

In the table below, the values listed under "Normal Condition" are reference values. Do not depend solely on these reference values when deciding whether a part is faulty or not.

(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(b) Turn the power switch on (IG).

(c) Turn the Techstream on.

(d) Enter the following menus: Body Electrical / (desired system) / Data List.

(e) According to the display on the Techstream, read the Data List.

Main Body:

Tester Display

Measurement Item/Range

Normal Condition

Diagnostic Note

Trunk Lock Position

Luggage compartment door lock signal / Lock or Unlock

Lock: Luggage compartment door lock assembly locked

Unlock: Luggage compartment door lock assembly unlocked

-

Trunk/BDoor Open SW

Luggage door opening switch assembly signal / ON or OFF

ON: Luggage door opening switch assembly is ON

OFF: Luggage door opening switch assembly is OFF

-

Trunk Main SW

Luggage compartment door opener cancel switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Luggage compartment door opener cancel switch is ON

OFF: Luggage compartment door opener cancel switch is OFF

-

Trunk Link with Door Lock

Luggage compartment door lock function / ON or OFF

Customized value displayed

-

Body No. 4:

Tester Display

Measurement Item/Range

Normal Condition

Diagnostic Note

Luggage Door Lock/Unlock Switch

Luggage compartment door key cylinder switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Luggage compartment door key cylinder switch is turned to open position

OFF: Luggage compartment door key cylinder switch is not turned

-

HINT:

Even though Luggage Push Switch and luggage compartment door closer assembly switch items are displayed in the Body No. 4 Data List, use the Back Door Data List to determine whether a part is faulty or not.

Back Door:

Tester Display

Measurement Item/Range

Normal Condition

Diagnostic Note

Back Door Handle SW

Luggage electrical key switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Luggage electrical key switch is ON

OFF: Luggage electrical key switch is OFF

-

Half Latch SW

Half-latch switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Half-latch switch is ON

OFF: Half-latch switch is OFF

-

Close Motor Pos1

Closer motor position switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Closer motor position switch is ON

OFF: Closer motor position switch is OFF

-

Striker Switch

Striker switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Striker switch is ON

OFF: Striker switch is OFF

-

Pawl Position SW

Pawl switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Pawl switch is ON

OFF: Pawl switch is OFF

-

Courtesy SW

Courtesy switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Courtesy switch is ON

OFF: Courtesy switch is OFF

-

PBD Close SW

Luggage compartment door closer switch signal / ON or OFF

ON: Luggage compartment door closer switch is ON

OFF: Luggage compartment door closer switch is OFF

-

PBD Position (Close-1/4)

Luggage compartment door position (Fully closed - 1/4 open) / CAUTION or OK

CAUTION: Luggage compartment door position is not fully closed - 1/4 opened

OK: Luggage compartment door position is fully closed - 1/4 opened

-

PBD Position (1/4-2/4)

Luggage compartment door position (Fully closed - 2/4 open) / CAUTION or OK

CAUTION: Luggage compartment door position is not 1/4 opened - 2/4 opened

OK: Luggage compartment door position is 1/4 opened - 2/4 opened

-

PBD Position (2/4-3/4)

Luggage compartment door position (Fully closed - 3/4 open) / CAUTION or OK

CAUTION: Luggage compartment door position is not 2/4 opened - 3/4 opened

OK: Luggage compartment door position is 2/4 opened - 3/4 opened

-

PBD Position (3/4-Open)

Luggage compartment door position (3/4 open - Fully open) / CAUTION or OK

CAUTION: Luggage compartment door position is not 3/4 opened - fully opened

OK: Luggage compartment door position is 3/4 opened - fully opened

-

PBD Power Operation

Turns power trunk opener and closer function / Valid or Invalid

Valid: Luggage closer motor assembly is valid

Invalid: Luggage closer motor assembly is invalid

-

2. ACTIVE TEST

HINT:

Using the Techstream to perform Active Tests allows relays, VSVs, actuators and other items to be operated without removing any parts. This non-intrusive functional inspection can be very useful because intermittent operation may be discovered before parts or wiring is disturbed. Performing Active Tests early in troubleshooting is one way to save diagnostic time. Data List information can be displayed while performing Active Tests.

(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(b) Turn the power switch on (IG).

(c) Turn the Techstream on.

(d) Enter the following menus: Body Electrical / (desired system) / Active Test.

(e) According to the display on the Techstream, perform the "Active Test".

Back Door:

Tester Display

Test Part

Control Range

Diagnostic Note

Latch Release

Operate luggage compartment door latch release

ON or OFF

-

PBD Motor

Operate luggage closer motor

FORWARD or OFF

REVERSE or OFF

-

PBD Clutch

Operate luggage closer motor clutch

ON or OFF

-

PBD Buzzer

Operate warning buzzer

ON or OFF

-

PBD Close SW Light

Operate luggage compartment door closer switch light

ON or OFF

-

HINT:

Even though Trunk Lid Open is displayed in the Body No. 4 Active Test, use the PBD/PTL Active Test to check the operation.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHART

HINT:

If a trouble code is displayed during the DTC check, inspect the trouble areas listed for that code. For details of the code, refer to the "See page" below.

Power trunk lid system

DTC Code

Detection Item

See page

B2222

PBD Pulse Sensor Malfunction

B2225

Back Door Motor Clutch Malfunction

B2250

Back Door Closer Operation Malfunction

B2251

Back Door Closer Switch Malfunction

Hope this helps you as you can see it's quite complicated and the faster way is to have a scanner hooked up and do that active test and look for trouble codes this would certainly save you much time.

fe46b514-a89d-4ffd-b379-...pngfe46b51...pngb7669a26-8647-442f-9998-...pngb7669a2...png16b6f425-e95e-4d19-bd66-...png16b6f42...png2640588c-6748-4a33-8a3b-...png2640588...png46518084-4522-494c-b60a-...png4651808...pnga21052c4-58f2-4af4-b97d-...pnga21052c...png9b8543a9-d1d2-4fba-8ce4-...png9b8543a...png

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Hi! I will take your advice and have the spark plugs changed by a real mechanic (which is not me!). I apologize, but I do need you to provide me the directions on how to remove the hand activated trunk opener that is located between the license plate lights, if these instructions are available. Thanks!!

I will look into that and send it off to you when I get it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! I still need help with the trunk lid switch instructions. Thanks!!

Sorry but all the instructions I sent and as you can see it has to be done with tech stream scanner to determine what is wrong. So much for sofisticated systems as they tie our hands to use their factory equipment. Read up you will see the procedure and also how to pull the codes that will show the area of issue.

You can do this one of two ways, have the shop pull the codes and send them off to me on here so we can continue or have them do the whole thing but that is entirely up to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! I am not trying to be a pest, but I really just need the instructions on how to remove the switch, not on how to test the switch. I can buy the switch for about $50, so I just want to know how to remove the switch. I hope that I am being clear on what I need. Thanks!! Bob

which switch? the one at the trunk or the one inside the vehicle ? Can you send a pic of which one then I can get you the right instructions.

Sorry Bob sometimes it gets confusing picturing things online as I was always a hands on guy . That switch you will have to do from inside the trunk cover itself. Remove the trunk liner and with a light you will see the fasteners that you will have to remove to get at the switch.I'll see if Toyota has any diagrams so Can forward them to you but sometimes they don't as they think we should know how , not much help for a person like you trying to fix things yourself though.

Got the picture thanx but after you told me which one I knew and that's a bit to do but not hard if you take your time. That whole garnish will come out when you do it.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! Have you had a chance to see if you can find the diagrams to remove the garnish so that I can get to the switch? Thanks!