Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2006 Renault Clio had a clutch replacement last Friday.

Customer Question
My 2006 Renault Clio...

My 2006 Renault Clio had a clutch replacement last Friday. This week the car stalled and wouldn't restart for over an hour. The mechanic is ruling out a problem with the crankshaft sensor. Could this sensor have been damaged while the clutch was being replaced?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

Less than 150 miles are on the new clutch. No slipping. It seems a little stiff but not sticking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Renault?

Clio

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, the vehicle is at the mechanic's shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My question is - could the sensor have been damaged during the clutch replacement. The total mileage is 74,000

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car
5/25/2018
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This does sound like the crank sensor at fault. This is a common characteristic of a crank sensor failure.

On most models, the crank sensor is located near the flywheel at the transmission/gearbox and it can become damaged when the transmission/gearbox is removed or reinstalled.

You might ask to look at the old sensor once the mechanic removes it to see if it is cracked or broken as this would help tell if it was caused by the clutch replacement. But yes the clutch replacement can damage the sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete