Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have had so many things repaired on my 2008Range Rover yet…

I have had so...

I have had so many things repaired on my 2008Range Rover yet the check engine light keeps coming back on. The last two thigs were head gaskets and fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on. The dealer put it on the machine and can't find anything. Needless to say, I am very wary driving it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Range Rover 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

No.. I am not. I'm taking it to the mechanic. It began killing on me some months ago. The head gaskets were replaced, the light came back on. After nearly 2 months with the mechanic, it was put on the machine for diagnsis and nothing was found. About 3 weeks ago it killed again. This time the fuel pump ws replaced. I drove it home today and the light was off. I drove tto the neighborhood store and still fine. On the way hme I noticed it was on again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

According the the dealer, they did every test.

4/24/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. What are the codes that have been pulled from the vehicle?

P0171

4.2l or 4.4l? Supercharged?

I don't know

Not a problem.

What they should be looking for is an intake or exhaust leak and also a restriction in the fuel system. If the issue is in the fuel system, then the injectors and the pump should be inspected. Here, I am attaching code and vehicle specific information(you are looking at P017100. This information gives you the most probable causes for this light.

.

Thank you Todd

You should ask them to perform a smoke test on the vehicle. If this test turns out to be good, then the focus should be on the fuel system. This could be a weak pump, a restriction in the lines, or dirty injectors.

You are very welcome. I am always happy to help.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
They just replaced the fuel pump, so in addition they should perform a smoke test and check for intake and exhaust leaks, yes?

Exactly. This will reveal the most difficult leaks to detect.

Got it! I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you.

Sounds great. Keep me posted. Also, thank you for the rating.

Thank YOU!

You are very welcome.