Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I just replace and I hopeand bearing. I just replace my hub…

Hi I just replace...

Hi I just replace and I hopeand bearing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Hi I just replace my hub and bearing on 06 sicon TC And still having a humming sound what could it be correct be a CV joint?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your tC yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I replaced both sides and still has a humm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be a bad tire That’s causing the humming

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

I would say the tires about three years old and had no problems before

4/23/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Humming can be from cv axle, hub bearing, or tires.

As you have replaced the hub bearings, rotate the tires - front to back, back to front and test drive. If humming travels with the tire rotation, then it is the tires. If not, then the bearings inside the tripod cages of the cv axle is the source and cv axle should be replaced

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

How can you tell if the CV joints bad I don’t hear no clicking and how can you tell if the tire is bad to
far so good rating 8

HI,

Rotate the tires. If the noise is now in the rear instead of the front, then you know it is the tires.

If noise is still in the front after rotating the tires, then it is the cv axles. CV axles only click if the boot is torn and the grease is slung out. If the bearings are bad inside the tripod but still have grease, they will hum

Rating 9 Should the CV joint axle Push in and out sorry Eric I just got too much going on a job and trying to talk But you’re doing a great job

HI,

Is the cv axle shaft nut tightened, are you pushing it in at the end of the shaft, or pushing it in at the inner cv housing

Rating 9 yes cv nut is tight I’m pushing it from under the car Pushing just CV axle into the transmission out to the not have slight play like an I will rotate the tires and see if it’s still humm Thank you I’ll be in touch

HI,

Up to a 1/4" of play is normal.

Rating 9 Eric thank you I’ll be in touch let you know what i fine thanks.

sounds good

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric excellent job you got a 10 rating from me Do you suggest I should replace my front and rear strut says the vehicle has 101,000 miles on it
With that many miles, they should be due to be replaced.
Excellent rating Eric a few more questions I just noticed my engine has a slight vibration and drive and neutral or I would say rough idle ?
Excellent job Eric by the way I did replace the tires .And the humming is no longer there thank you for Excellent job