Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My air conditioner, Yes, Are we live? So my air wasn't

My air conditioner Mechanic's...

My air conditioner

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Are we live?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

So my air wasn't blowing cold air. He said it was the big fans by the condenser. But after he recharged it blows cold air. So does this mean the fans are ok?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a new condenser and thermostat. Wheel works wanted to sell me new sensors and new fan unit. I'm trying to figure out if I needed a new fan unit why does my air work after he recharged.

Wheel works said it's the sensors and fans but they recharged the system and the air worked! That doesn't make sense to me. If they recharged the system and it works the nothing is broken?? Also if it is the fans/ what would cause the system needing a recharged? Would either the sensors or a bad fan cause leaking? Which One? Fan is only electrical right? Please make sense of it. Thanks!!
I may want to talk tomorrow if we need too. David
4/22/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If it blows cold after charging the system then there isn't an immediate issue with the cooling fan, unless there is an issue like excessive play or bearing noise. It it works correctly again after charging then the cause of the poor performance was the low charge. Depending on how long it has been since charged and how low it was, it may have been natural loss or there may be a leak in the system.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello, thanks for your answer. The mechanic at wheel works said one of the fans worked and one works off and on and to replace the whole fan unit and sensors. Then after a whole day waiting and a quote of 1500.00. I told them no don't fix it. Then the mechanic only recharged it and it worked. Sounds fishy. I'm so pissed. They should 've recharged it initially and see what happens not waist my whole day. Sorry just venting. Isn't there a test they could have done to test for a leak?

The first thing to do when diagnosing poor a/c performance is to check charge level.

A refrigerant detector can be used to check for leaks. It's more common to add dye to the system and then recheck for leaks at later date with a UV light.

right now it's morning. I turned my car on and turned the air cond on. My fans are not turning. My air is cold. At what point does my system turn one of the fans on to keep the system cold and does it turn both fans on or just One? Thanks

It's only going to run both fans at full speed if a/c high side pressure or coolant temperature get high enough. I doubt you have a fan issue based on the information you have provided.

both fans are only for the air? Not the engine too?

You're only going to see both running for engine cooling if coolant temperature cannot be maintained by the first fan, which is only going to be in high heat conditions.

I brought the car to them first thing in the morning. The car was cold. So just turning the car on doesn't seem like they could know if the fans are working properly or not. Unless they bypassed the system and wired the fans directly to the battery. Or got the engine warm enough?
If that fan/fans isn't working properly in a warmer condition how would my air respond?

What the cooling fans are doing is irrelevant if a/c performance is good and high side pressure isn't climbing too high.

All I know is my temp gauges are normal. If the fans weren't working properly would it affect my temp gauge?
as I now understand since my system is charged now and working besides a leak somewhere that my issue had nothing to do with fans or sensors. Right?

If the a/c is working fine after charging it was not working correctly because it was undercharged.

Thanks

You're welcome!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!

I found this out. My fans if not working when the air is on can break down elements in the freon and cause the air not to be cold. My fix to fix the fans was not hit the middle area of both fans with a bar releasing the brushes that are sticking. Whala the fans work. The reason my system worked with the new charge is because its new freon. They said theres no leaks. They checked it. Thanks for your help. Hopefully i taught you something. Have an Awesome Day!! 5 star
To hit the middle of the fan, The word Not above was a typo.

The fans not working cannot degrade the refrigerant. The reason that it worked correctly after charging is because the system was low, not because the refrigerant was old. Age does not affect it's performance.

http://acprocold.com/faq/does-refrigerant-go-bad/

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-does-an-ac-recharge-last

https://www.chemours.com/Refrigerants/en_US/assets/downloads/freon-134a-properties-uses-storage-handling.pdf

Chemical/Thermal Stability Thermal Decomposition Freon™ 134a vapors will decompose when exposed to high temperatures from flames or electric resistance heaters. Decomposition may produce toxic and irritating compounds, such as hydrogen fluoride. The pungent odors released will irritate the nose and throat and generally force people to evacuate the area. Therefore, it is important to prevent decomposition by avoiding exposure to high temperatures.

Chemical/Thermal Stability Thermal Decomposition Freon™ 134a vaporswill decompose when exposed to high temperatures from flames or electric resistance heaters. Decomposition may produce toxic and irritating compounds, such as hydrogen fluoride. The pungent odors released will irritate the nose and throat and generally force people to evacuate the area. Therefore, it is important to prevent decomposition by avoiding exposure to high temperatures.

Lol interesting. Well through all of this i fixed the fan lol. Im just relating info what they told me this morning. He also said that my air wont last more than a few days or a week if my relays and or fans arnt working properly.
Fan operation is necessary for the air to blow cold at stops and low speeds. This is because high side pressure and refrigerant temperature increase. It would still cool properly above 30 mph. The fan not working cannot degrade refrigerant. The system will work indefinitely without the fan but will blow warm at stops and low speeds. If it stops working a short time after charging it is because of a leak.
Thanks for your help. It also worked poorly at high speeds. So who knows exactly, maybe a combination of the fan and because i drive for uber i have the air on a bit more than a regular driver and it just need a new charge. I guess systems need to be charged in general once a year. The last time was about a year ago. Sorry it took long to hash it out. I hope me fixing the fans and a new charge will bring me into next summer. 320 000 mi. Almost time for a new car. I dont like the new shapes on most suvs. 5 star for you!!

Please remember to use the rating box shown on your screen before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping.

Good luck with your repairs!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician