Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My mini 2002 automatic won't shift gears. Did the oil

My mini cooper 2002...

My mini cooper 2002 automatic won't shift gears. Did the oil service but still no change. What could be the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I don't know how old the transmission is. I bought it a year ago. I didn't check brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic is fixing it. We changed gear oil and reset errors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I changed the car battery a week ago after EP Error. EP cleared

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/22/2018
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello is this a manual or automatic transmission? Will it move in any gear or no gear at all? Ws the fluid badly burnt?

It's automatic. It moves into other gears and can reach speed of 120km/h but with a struggle
I can't say whether the fluid was badly burnt, the mechanic said the oil used was the red one...I saw it. He replaced it with the clear one. The new oil is much expensive

Okk what gears are you missing? No diagnostic trouble codes stored or warning lights are on? Does it have 1-2, 2-3 but then flares into neutral when it upshifts to a certain gear or it winds out the rpms in a certain gear?

Gear 1-2 and then upward to gear 5 when I reach 80km/h

Ok im confused on your explanation, you have first and second gears, it shifts into second, then it winds out until it upshifts into 5th gear, it doesnt slip or flare into neutral?

No it doesn't flare into neutral. I'm not very good with cars and English is my second language. But I mean to say going from gear 1 to 2 the Rev count goes up because gears are not shifting
Then again from gear 4 to 5 same thing happens
The problem has been there for about a month until it got worse and last week EP light showed. Then I replaced battery and the EP Error disappeared on its own

Ok. I understand, so it hangs in 2nd then it winds out and finally dumps into 4th and 5th, an issue with it not upshifting into the next gear is either going to be a valve body issue/shift solenoid which a solenoid should set a code, or a mechanical failure for the direct clutch for 3rd gear. So run a diagnostic check for codes first and if any codes are stored, you would follow the codes from there. If no codes are stored, I would suspect an issue in the valve body or a mechanical failure requiring an overhaul or replacement.

No diagnostic warning lights displayed or warning lights

Then its an internal transmission failure, either on of the valves in the valve body is hung up and or the direct clutch is fried and wont engage.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If i was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Ok. I will run the diagnosis tomorrow

Very good, stuck in gear is a valve body or mechanical failure if there are no solenoid codes.

I will talk to you after I diagnose

Ok if I was helpful,please remember to leave a positive rating.

I will leave a response. And one other thing, there is a vibrating sound when I start the car
Could it be related to the problem? Because when did a diagnosis a few days ago there were no errors

Only when cranking the engine or coming from the transmission when idling?

When idling

If its coming from the transmission it is related to the problem. If not, you will have to isolate the noise.

Will I have to replace the whole transmission or just the valves?

No way of knowing until you get into the transmission further. If you remove the valve body and see nothing wrong with it, then you are looking at a major repair.

Ouch!!

Yes you are probably looking at a major repair.

I'll hope for the best. Thanks for now

You are welcome.

Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician