Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have an 09 G6 GT. I just got a lot of things fixed on it…

I have an 09...

I have an 09 G6 GT. I just got a lot of things fixed on it and needed to go for an emissions test, but the O2 sensor and EVAP are showing as unready. I’ve driven over 100 miles in the past 2 days and they’re still showing as unready.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Everything is fine, my mechanic went through the entire car. The DEQ is telling me that it’s because a drive cycle hasn’t been completed. But their answer for that is to keep driving. To me this seems like a waste of time and gas, as I have driven over 100 miles and it still reads as unready.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G6 GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I had someone else fix it for me, but it’s a trusted friend and I know there’s nothing wrong with my car. I had a thermostat out, an oil pressure switch, leak in my crank shaft, and needed breaks. All of these things were fixed. Along with oil, transmission, and brake fluid changes.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/21/2018
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Hi Chris I’m audrey
I can’t as my phone is almost dead and I’m sitting in a parking lot trying to figure out what I can do.
You need to drive it a specific way sometimes to get those monitors to run Audrey. Let me research this and see what is the best drive cycle for your Pontiac and get back to you. I will be back asap.
Chris
Thank you.

Ok do this Audrey: 1st make sure the fuel in the tank is over 1/4 but less than 3/4 full. Start of with a cold engine. Start the car and let it idle for about 2 minutes then drive on the freeway or highway at a STEADY 55 to 60 mph. Steady throttle is key to this. Drive about 2 miles without stopping if you can, then pull over and let the engine idle in gear for 30 to 60 minutes. Then take off and drive a steady 45 to 50 for 1 to 2 miles. Again pull over and let it idle for at least 30 seconds. turn the key off and leave the engine off for 30 seconds and then restart it. If nothing is wrong with the O2 sensors and other sensors, then the monitors should have run and passed. You may have to do this a couple of times. I am a smog tech in California and this drive cycle pretty much always works for me.

Chris

Audrey I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
On the first pull of you said to let it idle for 30 to 60 minutes is this right or did you mean seconds?
Seconds sorry :(
It’s ok thanks you!!

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Chris