Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My car was sitting for a few months and the battery died.

My car was sitting...

My car was sitting for a few months and the battery died. When I got it charged up again, I connected the battery and the horn starts honking over and over. I understand that it's something to do with anti-theft. Some articles said check the owner's manual. I lost the owner's manual. How can I reset the alarm?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

As I said the battery is fully charged. When I connect the battery the horn starts honking. I was told this is an anti-theft alarm feature. How can I turn the alarm off?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2001 Madza Tribute ES-V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, it's me. I connected the battery and tried pressing the alarm button on the key-fob. Didn't turn off the alarm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I'd like to get the car running again.

4/20/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Usually you are able to use the key fob to shut down the alarm. Next I would try to use the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the on position. Doing so should disable the alarm.... If still no success give me some time to pull up some information for you in follow-up here but let me know if this works and try it in the meantime.
Also try using the ignition key or correct key to unlock the door lock when the security systems going off. Also with the ignition switch on try connecting the battery. Reply back with the results
Mr. Wilson, Turning the key in the door disabled the alarm. Turning the key in the ignition or using the key fob did not. Thank you for your assistance.
Thank you for the update and I'm glad to hear that you got this resolved. Please take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Daniel Wilson