Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2000 lexus rx300. P1656, bank 1 OCV circuit or ecm…

Hi there. i have...

Hi there. i have a 2000 lexus rx300. P1656, bank 1 OCV circuit or ecm issue. i have replaced the actuator with oe toyota part. still have the same code return on 2nd trip. symptom of hesitation on accel. wiring from pcm to both bank 1/2 actuators good. i have a factory scan tool and am able to actively test each solenoid and stall/runs rough when actuated. but still cannot determine root failure. please any help or insight would be great

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes fuses are all good. already tested all wiring from pcm to actuators

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000 Lexus RX300 3.0L AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi there. i have a 2000 lexus rx300. P1656, bank 1 OCV circuit or ecm issue. i have replaced the actuator with oe toyota part. still have the same code return on 2nd trip. symptom of hesitation on accel. wiring from pcm to both bank 1/2 actuators good. i have a factory scan tool and am able to actively test each solenoid and stall/runs rough when actuated. but still cannot determine root failure. please any help or insight would be great sorry, i just reposted my original text to you with that info

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

HELP! lol

4/20/2018
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

The next two steps that you need to take, check and make sure all the block grounds are tight. You will need to make sure the computer is sending the same pulse signal to both solenoids. IF the signal is not the same, you have a wiring issue or computer failure, test is as follows:

Connect a lab scope from terminal 1 to terminal 2 at the OCV, activate the bank 1 OCV with the scan tool and check for the Engine Control Module (ECM) to pulse a voltage signal to the OCV. Compare the signal at the bank two OCV, the wire colors are terminal 1, Green/White wire and terminal 2, Yellow/Red.

thank you Jim. yes i forgot to mention that i have checked all the block grounds for connections/voltage drop. theyre ok. as for comparing the two banks signals and compared them i have not done. i know each solenoid is definitely getting a signal via labscope but didnt compare the two. i will try that and get back to you. thank you

ok

hi Jim. tested both signals. each are receiving signals of course no problem. but they do not match at all. night and day readings under 2000rpm load. and idle when commanded. bank one reading does not change properly in time divide or voltage. stays at 10v no matter what. bank 2 waveform looks more normal when put under load and commanded. times div changes and voltage changes when engine rpm changes. looks like we may be dealing with a PCM fault?

Ok, just make sure the connector is not the problem, before changing the pcm make sure you have good continuity on the wires from the solenoid to the pcm. I have seen bad parts out of the box, so I would not rule that out. I have spent hours chasing down problems only to find out the new part was bad,

actually that was the first thing I did was swap out the OCV just in case. And I am using OE parts. And symptoms still existed. I also tested circuit from both bank OCV directly to Pcm and wiring was good continuity.

Just make sure you have good continuity thru the connector itself.

Do you still need help with this question?

Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician