Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Neither if my car keys will start. The red light with

Neither if my car...

Neither if my car keys will start. The red light with security comes up. I believe it needs to be recoded. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The red light with a black key in the centre underneath the open door red light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Nissan almero tino 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

My car mechanic says he cannot fix it. I am not doing the job and my mechanic cannot get anyone to do it before Tuesday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried both keys and several turns produces nothing and then on several occasions I have manage to start the car but am nervous about doing this too often in case I get stuck somewhere.

Answered in 1 day by:
4/21/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be causing the no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong.

If it stopped starting with one key before the other then you pretty surely have two bad keys.

The problem may be with the immobilizer module that communicates with the keys to allow the engine to start.

The problem may also be with the engine controller itself, a loss of power or ground, or a bus communication problem between modules.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
The answer was far too detailed when I had reported the actual problem was to do with the security key and recoding. The IT person I called knew exactly what was needed. Thank you anyway but sorry I couln’t Give you a 5 star rating.
I'm uncertain what you were looking for if the problem had already been diagnosed.