Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I changed my brake pads in front and needed a new caliber…

Customer Question
I changed my brake...

I changed my brake pads in front and needed a new caliber when put it back together no brake fluid would come through on drivers side

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?

I checked it and had to add some dont think been changed

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Caliber?

New. i undid the brake line to caliber and nothing would come out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?

No bought new one

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 21 days ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Did you pump the brake pedal and hold it down to see if any fluid comes out of the brake caliper line or bleeder screw itself?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
pumped the brakes didnt see any fluid

Does fluid come out of the opposite side brake caliper?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
not now dont have that much yet. the passenger front brake bleeds the fluid just fine drivers side front with new caliper no fluid is comming through at all

O.k., this indicates that the brake master cylinder is o.k.If there was no fluid at all on both front sides this would be a fault with the brake master cylinder itself.But since there is fluid on one side and not the other this is a fault with the anti-lock brake hydraulic unit itself.This unit fails internally mechanically in allot of cases and requires replacement.In some cases, you can take a compatible scan tool and perform an abs bleed or use the scan tool to operate the anti-lock brake pump to push fluid and air through into the caliper to correct this here but in allot of cases the anti-lock brake hydraulic unit needs to be replaced to resolve this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician