Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2006 Chrys T&C 3.8 touring: Firestone changed my front

Customer Question
2006 Chrys T&C 3.8...

2006 Chrys T&C 3.8 touring: Firestone changed my front struts and springs. Now the vehicle bottoms out & the rid height seems 1" lower. I have been scraping the air dam on curbs this never happened before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

How to measure correct ride height?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Is this a real person

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hello, is this a human or computer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Please connect me

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
How do you know ride height is within specifications?
4/1/2018
Auto Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 3 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

I have curb damage to the from bumper and air dam (scrapes). This never happened before

ok

first, did they use quick struts?? they are complete units replacements.

the height measurement is done from ground to bumper bottom but there are a lot of factors to determine the height

Roy

The washer in the top of the strut tower (rt side) was broken. Firestone cut the OE springs and used complete assembly replacements (quick struts).
now the vehicle ride height seems lower and I have damage.
Also bottoms out more easily.

ok good

do you have the receipt with the part number??

they may have put the wrong one on.

there are a couple different ones available. most of the time people complain because the front is too high from the new springs.

Roy

My question is how to measure ride height?
What is supposed to be normal spec?
hello?

I stated already that it is the distance from the street to the bottom of the bumper. it may not be accurate as that spec was made with new tires, vehicle empty of all accessories as well.

you know your car better than anyone if it is bottoming out it is not correct. the struts assembly determine that height and if they are too light and cannot handle the weight, it will sag or not be the right height.

there are 2 listings for your sturts, one for a short wheel base and one for long wheel base. that will effect the height

please be patient. I am answering many questions

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

do you have any other questions??

Roy